Client backup continuity at DR site

Last post 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM by Ali. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Client backup continuity at DR site
    Posted: 02-20-2019, 3:45 PM

Hello,

We are an MSP, and have a customer with a dedicated commvault environment we manage for them.  We have a requrement to be able to continue to back up clients that are replicated using Zerto when those clients have been failed over to the DR site.  This is regardless of if the commserve fails over too.  The clients are all VMs, but are backed up via agent, and will have the same hostname, but differnt IP at the DR site than the prod site.  We plan to configure DNS so the client is able to connect to the media severs at either prod or DR sites, and the media agents function as proxy for the clients to connect to the commserve.  We need to know what other changes need to be made to the clients so that they will still be able to connect to the media agents and commserve, and so backups and restores will still work seamlessly when the client is failed to the DR site.  The customer has both Windows 2012, and rhel7 clients.  I have searched for documentation around this, but so far have not found anything.  I'm sure I may not be using the right search terms though.

• Re: Client backup continuity at DR site
    Posted: 02-21-2019, 11:29 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Have you tried this in a small scale setup, with just a few VMs in an isolated network?

I'm trying to understand how will the replicated VMs have a view of the DNS which is different than that of production or is it the same.

Ideally, if things resolve it should not be a problem theoretically.  If the MAs are the same the data paths won't change for the clients so it should work.

The other thing to consider is if/when/how the site goes down if you're using dedupe, to consider that recovery time into the DR scenario as well.

Posted: 02-21-2019, 11:53 AM

the DNS is actually hosts files, so we plan to put both prod and DR media servers in the hosts file of each client.  The issue is that the client will have a different IP at the DR site, so I think we might need to update the registration to the commserve so it knows of the client IP change, and also we are using proxy client groups to set the path for the commserve to get back to the client, so we would need to update that so the client is in the correct client group for the proxy (ma servers) at the DR site.  Also not sure how the commserve will know that backups for this client should now be handled by the DR MA servers, but thinking re-registration might do that too.

Posted: 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

If the data path on the policy is correct then the clients don't need to be told of the MA

I just don't know how the replication will be handled thats why a small test will be nice to clarify the working example.

Pretty sure the replication will be agnostic to CV...

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy