Is there a way to see pruning status?

Last post 02-22-2019, 4:54 PM by acpp. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Is there a way to see pruning status?
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 1:15 PM

Hi,

Commvault v11 SP12 with disk libraires only

I have deleted a copy in a storage policy. The deleted copy was associated with its own DDB (not global DDB). After deleting the copy, I initiated a Data Aging job.

1. The way I understand it, even though the Data Aging job has finished, the actual pruning to free up storage space happens in the background. Is there a way to see the status of pruning? I found Data Pruning Report (mentioned in https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=105200.htm) that can be installed but I can't find it in the Commvault Store.

2. A day later, I notice the disk library space is freed up but the associated DDB disappeared from Storage Resources > Deduplication Engines automatically. Is it normal?

Thank you.

• Re: Is there a way to see pruning status?
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 4:42 PM

Hi accp

In regards to the process of Pruning, it involves:

• Logical aging from the CommServe 
    • Records are then sent from the CommServe to MediaAgent to initiate the Physical deletion of the blocks. 
    Since there are multiple phases in the overall end-to-end pruning, there isn't any one method to track it. 

There are also two different type of Pruning:
    • Micro-Pruning (also known as Drill Holes) - for every block of the aged job(s), the system has to identify whether it is unique, or if it shared with another backup. Then only remove the associated Blocks (freeing up space)
      • Associated log files on the MediaAgent - SIDBPrune & SIDBPhysicalDeletes
    • Macro-Pruning - is the standard way to delete the data from the library, and it is used every time the system does not need “to drill” on the Deduplicated Data.
    • Associated log files on the MediaAgent - CVMA

In your scenario where you have deleted the entire Copy, this would of meant all jobs associated to the DDB is also deleted and becasue every block/CHUNK is not required this would of triggered a Macro-pruning process. 

Once a DDB is not associated to any Blocks, afer 24 hour it will be removed from the CommServe GUI. 

Hopefully this helps 

Thank you 

Winston 
  • Re: Is there a way to see pruning status?
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 4:54 PM

Hi Winston,

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation. There is no better answer than you've provided. It feel great to get answers from experts like you.

Thank you.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy