HyperScale & Global deduplication policy

Last post 04-30-2019, 5:46 PM by Wwong. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • HyperScale & Global deduplication policy
    Posted: 02-28-2019, 5:14 AM

Hi All.

Just installed my first HyperScale environment (Reference Architecture) and would like to know if its possible to create more than the default Global Deduplication policy.

What I'm looking for, is a global deduplication policy for VM, DB, and all other kind of data, so 3 DDBs in the setup.

The setup consists of 3 nodes with 2 nvme drives on each node.

When I try to create a new Global deduplication policy I am able to choose the partitioned DDB but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it.

Regards

-Anders

• Re: HyperScale & Global deduplication policy
    Posted: 03-01-2019, 8:17 AM

Hi Anders

At the moment as of SP14, HyperScale Appliance & Reference Architecture only support creating a single DDB per Gluster Storage Pool. 

There has been discussion for future Service Pack to support creating more DDB on a single Gluster Storage Pool. 

I believe this is currently targetted for SP15.

Kind Regards

Winston

Posted: 03-01-2019, 8:26 AM

Hi Winston.

Thanks for clarifying.

I will look forward for the feature being implemented (I hope it will Smile), and will keep an eye out for the coming release notes.

Thanks

-Anders

Posted: 04-30-2019, 4:25 AM

Hi Winston.

Do you have an update on this one, did the multiple ddb feature on Hyperscale Reference make it to SP15?

Thanks

-Anders

Posted: 04-30-2019, 5:12 PM

Hi Anders 

From my understanding rather then having the capability of creating multiple GDSP for different data types (the traditional method) for HyperScale (which will work but not recommended due to load issue), in the future for DDB (for HyperScale), Commvault will allow multiple DDBs within one StoragePool aka GDP for segregating files like data into one DDB and databases into one DDB...etc (automated)

Extract from another post - http://sso.forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/62469.aspx

So at the moment if their is a need, you can definitely create additional DDB on the HyperScale Node, but a concern would be on the load.

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 04-30-2019, 5:39 PM

Thanks for the update Winston.

Another clarification. When having extended retention rules, the recommendation is or has been to do a selective copy to another DDB holding the long term data, how should this be handled on a HyperScale solution when its actually not recommended to have more than 1 DDB?

Regards

-Anders

Posted: 04-30-2019, 5:46 PM

Hi Anders 

From my understanding rather then having the capability of creating multiple GDSP for different data types (the traditional method) for HyperScale (which will work but not recommended due to load issue), in the future for DDB (for HyperScale), Commvault will allow multiple DDBs within one StoragePool aka GDP for segregating files like data into one DDB and databases into one DDB...etc (automated) - no confirmation on when this will be available

Extract from another post - http://sso.forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/62469.aspx

So at the moment if their is a need, you can definitely create additional DDB on the HyperScale Node, but a concern would be on the load/performance

Hopefully this helps

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy