Moving cvfailover to CommServe LiveSync configurations

Last post 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM by Leo E. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Moving cvfailover to CommServe LiveSync configurations
    Posted: 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM

to switch from cvfailover to CommServe LiveSync,
    BOL requires to uninstall ALL software (instance001 & Instance002) on the STandby CommServe.
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=105145.htm 

If I compare installed components & Software Contents on the legacy installation (prior SP14) w/ newly installed CCID on SP14, I cannot see a difference in the packet list.

The cvfailover.cfg config file seems to be the only difference between both installation.

Is there a reason to un- / re-install all software ?
    Isn't it sufficient to just remove the cvfailover.cfg file and activate CommServe LiveSync instead ?

best regards
    Klaus

(the real reason for asking is an installed MediaAgent as part of a dedup Grid on instance002 within one of my environments)
    (I installed the CommServe on the first MA of the Grid in both DCs)
    (I think it'll become tricky to remove that)

• Re: Moving cvfailover to CommServe LiveSync configurations
    Posted: 03-06-2019, 4:51 PM

CSLiveSync has a feature which will automatically keep packages and patches sync'd between production and DR - uninstall/re-install is strongly recommended.

When you reinstall it will ask for your production CS FQDN and then it goes in and syncs all packages so that DR CS has whatever production has. Once you update production CS SP level the system will automatically patch DR with the same.

Posted: 03-19-2019, 3:56 PM

I too am looking into moving to this configuration. Documentation says by default all clients will communicate using a proxy. Is this needed? Looking for documentation on how to migrate from manual failover method with floating Commcell hostname to Livesync for DR. Has anyone done this?

Posted: 03-19-2019, 5:27 PM
    Posted: 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Hi, I am "playing"with this Feature ... for some time now, and what I can tell is that there are some things that are definetely not clear from the web documentation (as usuall)

Q1: The steps do not clearly state do you have to install first CS, then the Failover package - or in one step. If you install them in one step - you clearly have unconfigured CS with no Storage Policy & no automatic CommServeDR

Q2: There are no requirements where to create the default Backup of CommServe DB asked while installing. On some talks I was told it has to be on second server e.g. \\secondsrv\dr2

Q2: Regarding the FQDN of servers - it is not clear - do you have to use floating FQDN. (In previous version of similar function - it was enough to use CNAME). There are limitations if we are using MS DNS. Or you can use the FQDN of each server and we will go to change CommServe name procedure? 

Q3: There is not information about SQL user rights. After installaiton you might come to an error, when the system user on the failover server does not have rights to the SQL Database? (Which might breack the installation actually)

Q4: If we want to use the second server as an additional MA for AUX copy - this means Instance003? Will this be supported?

Posted: 03-20-2019, 1:55 PM

Hi Ogito:

Thanks for your feedback. We will take them into consideration. Please find the asnwers to your questions.

Q1. Cs and failover package are installed in 1 step. DR storage policy is automatically created and used for Cs liveSync. This feature must be enabled from the control panel. It does not replace the DR backup.

Q2. No special requirements for this. Local path of UNC share is needed for this.

Q3. No you do not have to use Floating name but it is recommended to avoid sharing the same host name with the machine. CNAME can be used.

Q4. Yes, you can use second server as MA for aux copy.

Please let us know if you need further assistance 

Thanks.

Leo

Posted: 03-20-2019, 2:57 PM
    Cool

Hi, Thanks for the feedback Leo.

Regarding your comments:

Q1: I definetely do not agree with you. (Can prove it with images). After installing both in one step - we do not have any Disk Library or Tape Library Defined. And yes - we do have a CommCell DR policy - but it is without mount path to a disk library. We also do not have CVFailoverLogShipping subclient defined in the LyveSynch subclient. The final result is that when opening Control Panel - LiveSynch - we can enable LiveSynch - but fields are empty. The final view of CommCell Console looks like it is shown http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=102845.htm but the rest ... is not like examples.

Q3: Before there were examples at least how to create a CNAME record in MS DNS via powershell. I know it is not directly related to CV but some examples for Linux Bind and MS DNS would be highly appriciated by customers.

NEW Q5: The license requirements are scarce and unclear. Especially regarding new licensing the CV have started to push this year. E.g. If you use only Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery for Virtual Environments it is unclear if we can use this feature - especially taking into consideration the following: Licensing Requirements - CommCell environments with other types of license categories do not require any special licenses for the CommServe software. And yet - it requires license for SQL?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=102842.htm

Og.

Posted: 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Hi Ogito

Thanks for the feedback

Q1: We will add to the doc that disk library needs to be added to the DR Storage policy for logshipping to run.

Q3: We will add these example back in the FAQ section. 

Q5 : We will clarify that senctence but we are referring to Commserver software itself.

Thanks.

Leo

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy