CommserveDR every run consumes a new tape

Last post 03-25-2019, 11:46 AM by Boberic. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CommserveDR every run consumes a new tape
    Posted: 03-06-2019, 6:45 AM

Hi there,

I'm using the default CommServe DR policies, and the problem I'm facing is that every run is taking me one new tape. If I go to assigned media I can see 5 tapes assigned to the DR storage policy.

This is a considerable percentage of my library capacity.

I can't see any place where I can set it to reuse existing tapes, or to set a limit on the number of tapes it uses. I can spare one or two tapes for this, but a single one for each run is too much.

Any idea how to fix or configure it the way I want?

Thanks

• Re: CommserveDR every run consumes a new tape
    Posted: 03-07-2019, 7:33 AM

Hi Ricardoduarte

Can you please confirm whether the schedule of the DR Backup is set to use a new Media every time it runs. This could be the reason why each DR backup is selecting a new Tape.

Regards

Winston

Posted: 03-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Do you have any update on the schedule ?

Posted: 03-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Do you have any update on the schedule ?

thanks,

Manoj

Posted: 03-25-2019, 11:46 AM

I would assume that you have the CommServe DR going to a separate storage policy. 

The way CommVault writes storage policies to tape prevents you from putting two different storage policies onto the same tape without some extra work.  

If you have a tape copy assigned to that storage policy, in order for it to be useful you will want to offsite it anyway.  If you can't offsite it you might as well just delete the tape copy.

You still should consider having it copy the DR backup file to something outside your datacenter, though.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy