VSS Snaps are not delete after Vm Backup

Last post 03-13-2019, 9:08 AM by Liam. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSS Snaps are not delete after Vm Backup
    Posted: 03-08-2019, 4:40 AM

Hi All,

we are looking for maybe an bug in SP14.

We see in some enviroments where we have problems with vss snapshots. We have vmware and also nutanix as hypervisor. the vss snapshot inside of the vm will not delete after vsa backup. This happens after update to SP14

So maybe you see this problem too and can give us some hints.

thanks

• Re: VSS Snaps are not delete after Vm Backup
    Posted: 03-08-2019, 4:57 AM

I think we have the same issue.

I have to free space by manually enabling shadow copies and disabling them

Posted: 03-08-2019, 5:06 AM

intresting. on different Windows OS Servers ? Which Hypervisor do you have ?

Posted: 03-08-2019, 5:18 AM

vmware 6.7

several OS: 2008r2,2012,2012r2

Posted: 03-08-2019, 5:22 AM

how do you identify that you have hanging vss snapshots.

Posted: 03-08-2019, 5:27 AM

I have noticed that on many VMs (backup with quiesce enabled), after sp14 hpk5

I have a lot of space occupied in "System Volume Information"

I am not sure about the cause, but this is the only relevant change in env before we noticed this issue

Posted: 03-11-2019, 2:25 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,586

Locally on a machine? Are you running FS backups as well? If you are doing backups through the hypervisor, CommVault only requests snapshot creation and consolidation through the API so there is no local control on the guest machines. 

Hot fix 1977 addresses an issue with system state not deleting VSS which is rectified going forward, you would just need to clear out the previous snapshots. 

You can manually delete the VSS Shadows on the system, using the following steps:

1. Open Admin CMD prompt
    2. Type 'DiskShadow' to enter the VSS administration prompt
    3. Run the command 'delete shadows all'

Posted: 03-12-2019, 7:24 AM

Hi,

Check out this post:

http://forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/60308.aspx

HPK6 fixed our problem.

Posted: 03-12-2019, 10:20 PM

I have had to go thru all of my servers and enable and then disable VSS even tho' all of it was disabled.

I found actually going into the settings and ticking the limit button and reducing the limit and then enabling and disabling shadow copy cleared up heaps and heaps of space on quite a few of the servers. Only happening on servers that I use CV to back them up.

This should have already come out as a big huge warning to all of us CommVault users, very disappointing customer support.

Posted: 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM

I have had to go thru all of my servers and enable and then disable shadow copy even tho' all of it was disabled.

I found actually going into the settings and ticking the limit button and reducing the limit and then enabling and disabling shadow copy cleared up heaps and heaps of space on quite a few of the servers. Only happening on servers that I use CV to back them up.

This should have already come out as a big huge warning to all of us CommVault users, very disappointing customer support.

Posted: 03-13-2019, 9:08 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,586

Enabling and disabling shadow copies where it was already disabled means you are likely talking about the local schedude that is used to run native VSS snapshots through the OS outside of CommVault. This would have no bearing on the snaphsots CommVault requests. 

CommVault does not set a limit on the VSS snapshots, this is already established by the OS, but the procedure you are describing is another way to quickly remove any existing snapshots. The commands I mentioned earlier would do the same. 

Hot fix 1977 addresses the issue where snapshots are not being deleted after the System State is done. As this can only be addressed going forward after the installation, you would need to manually clean up the previously orphaned snapshots via command line or VSS GUI.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy