Recovery points

Last post 03-22-2011, 8:51 PM by ArvTechMan. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Recovery points
    Posted: 01-27-2011, 12:05 AM

I created a replication set a few weeks back, ran the baseline and the live data is being sent without any problems.  However, I haven't configured the recovery points yet. Actually, I've been reading the documentation and I am a little confused on what I need to do.

The source server has SQL on it and the pair was configured with Add App. The destination is just a holding location. I have a 3rd server where the actual files would be restored to if needed in a DR situation (its in a DMZ so we aren't going to automount the recovery points).

From the documentation I read, since this is SQL the restore would need to come from a consistent recovery point or back up of one. 

What I need to know is where the Recovery Points are stored, is the source or destination or both?

Initially, I thought it was the log files I had to be concerned about disk space, so I had those setup on different volumes. If the recovery points are only saved on the destination server, then I'm good to go, if they are also saved on the source, then we will have other issues. Right now, I planned on only keeping 2 recovery points since this was for DR purposes.

TIA,

Kathy

• Re: Recovery points
    Posted: 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Kathy,

The VSS snap that is used for the Recovery Points is held on the Destination CDR server.  Since you are stating that you are Replicating SQL you are correct that you will want to use the consistent recovery points option.  This will put a marker on the source replication logs and wait for that log to be replayed on the destination before the RP will be taken.  This is to ensure that at the time of the RP the DB is exactly how it was at the time of the RP call on the source. 

Please use the following steps to complete a RP for SQL DB Replication

- From the source Client expand the Continuous Data Replication agent

- right click on the RepSet for the SQL pair

- Select All Tasks/ Create Recovery Point

- select Consistent Recovery Point and run immediately or you can setup a schedule from there

Thank You

Posted: 03-20-2011, 2:31 PM
    Posted: 03-20-2011, 2:31 PM

The CRP uses a flag on the source side to ensure the src and dest are at that consistent point before taking the snapshot, but the snap resides on the destination side. 

Posted: 03-22-2011, 8:51 PM

Lot's of details missed in providing Kathy the answer...

Kathy,

You will need to create a storage policy.  This will tell the backup what data path to use, tape, ddo, etc.

Then point the destination replication server to enable backups and point it to the storage policy you created.

On the source server in the gui you need to make sure all these are set.

CDR properties - Fan In tab - Storage Policy - Check the box to backup and point it to the storage policy you created.
              Pair Properties - Rep Options Tab (check the box allow recovery points) - Storage Policy tab (point it to the same storage policy created earlier).

Once all the above is complete you can schedule CRP's to run and they will mark a CRP, but also backup based on the storage policy.

The above configuration including the storage policy is assuming you want to keep these long term based on the storage policy...

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy