AIX LPAR Install

Last post 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM by efg. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • AIX LPAR Install
    Posted: 03-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Hi folks,

Hope you can help on this, I need to install and configure File System and Informix agents in a AIX LPAR, according to the documentation, the agent would need to be installed in the logical partition (LPAR). But after the installation, the client is not visible, and I get an error in the server:

cvd is not running, bring it up.

Missing shared libraries or missing symbols in shared libraries.

Do you know if there is a specific process to install the agent in the LPAR AIX? 'Cause in the documentation is not specified.

Thanks in advaced.

• Re: AIX LPAR Install
    Posted: 03-12-2019, 1:19 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

Basically the install to an LPAR is the same as it would be to a stand-alone server.  You may need to open a support ticket for this, but generally you need to check the AIX OS version that you are installing to as well as tell us what version of Commvault that you are attempting to install.  There have been some issues in the past where a user was running a "local" install based on a custom package that they created, but there were isues in that the custom package was not built correctly.

Were there any errors encountered when you installed the software?  What method did you use to install Commvault to the AIX LPAR? 

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 03-12-2019, 3:05 PM

Hi efg. The AIX OS is 7.1, the LPAR has Open Suse Enterprise Linux 11 (here is where I want to install the agent) and the Commvault version is 11 sp14. The install method is locally in the LPAR, using a package. I'm going to create a new custom package and try the install again. 

The errors I get are in the attached files.

So, there would be no problem installing the agent in the LPAR. My doubt came, just in case if something else is needed to perform the install.

Thanks for response.

Posted: 03-12-2019, 3:21 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

Ahh...  OK now this makes sense.  I thought you were attempting to install the AIX agent, but you are actually running SuSE Linux on PPC (IBM LPAR). 

From the screenshot it looks like you are running the "Galaxy" command, but that has long been deprecated.  Some of the upgrade packs didn't remove the old startup scripts.

Have you tried using the "commvault" command.   (same syntax as the "galaxy" command)

# commvault start

This command can be run from anywhere. (typically its copied to /usr/bin)

There should not be a problem with the install, and it would run the same as if on a stand-alone server.   It sounds like perhaps some binaries may be missing from the install package.

You should also be able to "push" the install directly from the Java console *if the CS has connectivity to the LPAR, and if you have the firewall turned off on the Linux server.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 03-12-2019, 3:31 PM

Ok efg, I'm gonna try the install again with the new package, and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Posted: 03-15-2019, 5:03 PM

Hi efg, 

While installing the client, this error appears in the logs, while trying to connect to the Commserve:

Sim call failed with and return code -11.

There is no firewall, both machines are in the same network.

Do you have an idea for this? I found that this could be due to some Suse patches, but it is updated.

Posted: 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

Hmm.  not familiar with that error.  Is there a reason you are running the install locally vs push install?  if there is full network connectivity and no firewalls involved that would be the recommended way to install the agent.  Is SELinux enabled on this server?  On SuSE they there is also the AppArmor security which may block some system calls on the OS.  (errno 11 typically means resource temporarily unavailable) which could happen if a call is getting blocked.  If either of these are enabled you could try turning them off and then attempt the install.

I would recommend opening a support ticket for this.  You may need to upload the install log from the client as well.   Typically there would be a log file called install.log under the default log directory on the client under /var/log/commvault/Log_Files.  there are additional logs located there as well that the support folks may want to see, so you may want to zip/upload the entire directory.

Let us know how you make out.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy