Question about Commvault Complete for Virtual Environments

Last post 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM by Sergio Vilela. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Question about Commvault Complete for Virtual Environments
    Posted: 03-14-2019, 4:33 PM

Hi,

Reading on a document I see CV-BR-VM10 licenses are able to backup complete VMs (VSA) and also applications and databases through iDataAgents (from License 1Pager document).

On other document, i see that in order for the license to work, VSA needs to be installed and recognize the VMs. After that, the backup can be done using any agent type:

"In order for virtual licensing to engage and report accurately, Commvault virtual server agent (VSA) software must be deployed to recognize the virtual servers and the platform on which they are running. However, protection may be executed against these recognized systems using any agent type (file, application, or virtual agent)."

Now, when actually using this license, it is not reporting correctly. It is reporting all deployed agents as physical ones.

When contacting different Commvault representatives we have received mixed responses: "it can be done", "it cannot be done".

So my question is:

Can CV-BR-VM10 licenses backup using Agents (as documentation says)?

If true, what else would be needed for the license to engage and report accurately? (knowing that we have deployed VSA and it has already recognized the VMs).

Please advise.

Regards,

Sergio.

• Re: Question about Commvault Complete for Virtual Environments
    Posted: 03-17-2019, 5:44 PM

Hi,

I'm also trying to figure out the new licensing.

It seems that now only "Complete" licenses are available. But if you look at what licenses you will be provided, you may realise that  they will not allow you to backup everything under the VM/sockets you license.

CV-BR-VM10 seems to include the following by default

So, at least you will be able to use the agents for a single VM (those Application Class X and Server File System).

If you do a Application Aware backup, it should create the clients and use "Application Class Virtual" for some applications (AD, Exchange, SQL Server), but I read on the documentation that the backup will consume a Application Class X if you use intellisnap for the backup.

Also curious is that the "Per-Socket" also only includes one Server File System, and one Application Class of each type (1, 2 and 3). And only 10 Application Class Virtual per socket

Regards

Posted: 03-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Hi,

Your images are not loading... :(

Still, it is interesting what you said about the Socket licensing. If there are actual limitations, it should be notified on an official document, but I have not found any so far.

Regards,

Sergio.

Posted: 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Here they go.

Attachment: 1.png 2.png
    Posted: 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Hi,

Can you tell me where to find that information?

Regards,

Sergio

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy