Drive cleaning alert not seen by Commvault

Last post 03-21-2019, 3:20 AM by Liberje. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Drive cleaning alert not seen by Commvault
    Posted: 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Hello, 

We have a tape library "Quantum Scalar I3" with "IBM ULTRIUM HH6" drives, but it seems a drive cleaning alert from the tape library is not being seen by Commvault. 

In the tape library, we can see a RAS ticket that let us know we need to clean one of the drives, but in Commvault, in the Drive properties, under status we see "Cleaning required: no". So for some reason, Commvault is not pickup it up. 

Our configuration should be correct, as we have several tape libraries where drive cleaning isn't a problem. 

Auto-cleaning is enabled, with the options "on sense code" and "cleaning tresholds exceed". 

Has anybody else seen this before? 

• Re: Drive cleaning alert not seen by Commvault
    Posted: 03-20-2019, 3:16 PM

Hi, as far as I remember - Tape Cleaning should be managed only by tape library or only by CommCell. Managing tape alerts and cleaning by both is not recommended. You might check supported version of SCSI protocol - e.g SCSI-3 or SCSI-2

Personnaly I always handle cleaning only by tape library.

• Re: Drive cleaning alert not seen by Commvault
    Posted: 03-21-2019, 3:20 AM

Hello Ogito, 

Thank you for your response. 

Tape cleaning is fully managed by the CommCell. In the tape library, the option is set to run drive cleaning by the application, so that should be fine. 

Personally, I do too. But it was decided to let Commvault handle it, which should work as it's a feature. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy