Client Agent Package Only

Last post 03-21-2019, 12:47 PM by IL Cattivo. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Client Agent Package Only
    Posted: 03-21-2019, 7:35 AM

Hi Everyone, fairly new to CommVault, but not to backups & DR..

I am trying to find a way to aquire only the 'Client Agent' portion of the Software Package.

My requirement is to send to our Solaris team only the Solaris Client Agent for them to install on a variety of SunOS servers. I can see that you can use the Installer to dowload software for use on another computer, but this appears to download everything [Commserve, MediaAgent etc..] So when you're given the option to produce a .tar file for the OS it's neon 4 GB in size.  Surprised

How do I get just the Client Agent portion into a .tar or .gz file (Much smaller)

Many Thanks

• Re: Client Agent Package Only
    Posted: 03-21-2019, 7:56 AM

Hi,

You can create a custom package out of the media downloaded to include only the packages required for installation. You can also record answers if you want the other team to provide fewer inputs during installs.

1) Copy the entire package downloaded to any Unix/Linux machine and extract it.

2) Run cvpkgadd and follow instructions. Make sure to choose "Create custom package",  "Create a general package only"and select the Solaris version(SPARC or X86_64). Next step, you will be able to select the required packages to be included.

Solaris IPS is also supported. For this, you have to choose "Create a Solaris IPS package only" in the custom package types.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=2027.htm

Thanks,

Narender

Posted: 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Narender:

Hi,

You can create a custom package out of the media downloaded to include only the packages required for installation. You can also record answers if you want the other team to provide fewer inputs during installs.

1) Copy the entire package downloaded to any Unix/Linux machine and extract it.

2) Run cvpkgadd and follow instructions. Make sure to choose "Create custom package",  "Create a general package only"and select the Solaris version(SPARC or X86_64). Next step, you will be able to select the required packages to be included.

Solaris IPS is also supported. For this, you have to choose "Create a Solaris IPS package only" in the custom package types.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=2027.htm

Thanks,

Narender

Thank-you everso much Narender for your reply.

I am attempting to create the custom package using my local Ubuntu VirtualBox machine but get the following message when running ./cvpkgadd (Sudo)

*** Could not find any installer to use

I winscp'd the entire contents of the 'solaris-sparc' download folder from my Windows PC over to my Ubuntu /home directory, did a chmod +x on the cvpkgadd file and thats what I get when I tried to execute it??

What have I missed.. ?  Undecided  Cheers

Posted: 03-21-2019, 11:07 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

If you only copied the Solaris-Sparc installer files, then you only got Sparc binaries (which won't run on an Intel box)  You would need to also get the Linux install copied over to that ubuntu server as well.   This is because Sparc binaries won't run on Intel architecture.  The install scripts will then be able to use the Intel installer binaries to create the Solaris custom package.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 03-21-2019, 11:27 AM

If you downloaded only sparc, then try creating custom package on sparc machine.

Thanks,

Narender

Posted: 03-21-2019, 12:47 PM

efg:

If you only copied the Solaris-Sparc installer files, then you only got Sparc binaries (which won't run on an Intel box)  You would need to also get the Linux install copied over to that ubuntu server as well.   This is because Sparc binaries won't run on Intel architecture.  The install scripts will then be able to use the Intel installer binaries to create the Solaris custom package.

Thanks efg,

Copied over the Linux x86_64 software too, and while it gave me the option to create a custom package for Solaris, it threw me a message saying that it's not permissable due to the reasons you mentioned above.

Thanks for your assistance guys, am on the hunt for a test/dev Solaris-Sparc server that I can utlize for this use, but I now know the procedure to get to where I want, as I tested it successfully for the Linux_x86_64 package which gave me the options to create the pkg & .tar (Which were significantly smaller in size than the whole sherbang)!

Thanks again guys.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy