Aggregated pre-compression size of data for all tapes in a Storage Policy Copy?

Last post 03-22-2019, 9:17 PM by Wwong. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Aggregated pre-compression size of data for all tapes in a Storage Policy Copy?
    Posted: 03-21-2019, 10:00 PM

We have a bunch of non-deduped, hardware-compressed data on tape that we need to copy to disk.  We need to know how much disk we'll need.  Is there a way to find the actual space consumed by the data, or (better) the amount of data transferred to the tapes before the tape drive compressed it?

(We're not restoring it; it will still be Commvault data. We just want to move it.)

... Is the 'Data in Storage Policy Copy' view showing me this?  The numbers in this view vs. the 'Disk Space Utilization' Library view are way off for the deduped stuff, but maybe it's more accurate for non-deduped stuff?

• Re: Aggregated pre-compression size of data for all tapes in a Storage Policy Copy?
    Posted: 03-22-2019, 1:15 AM

Hi Sheree 

So if you are going to Aux Copy Tape back to Disk (without Deduplication or Compression), then the Backup will consume the exact size of the "Application Size" column. 

However if you are going to use compression, then it becomes a bit tricky as different data set will have different compression ratio, so will not be possible to calculate. 

I recommend to Aux Copy one job (with Compression) and then check the size on disk after the Aux Copy to compare the percentage saving and use that as a general benchmark to calculate the require capacity for disk

Regards

Winston 

• Re: Aggregated pre-compression size of data for all tapes in a Storage Policy Copy?
    Posted: 03-22-2019, 2:25 PM

Hi Wwong,

This is data that was already proven to be un-dedupable before we put it on tape, so we won't be trying to dedupe it.  Thanks for the tip about the Application Size.

Posted: 03-22-2019, 7:33 PM

Hi Sheree

No issue test out the Aux Copy back from the Tape to Disk and see how it goes.

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 03-22-2019, 7:53 PM

Hi Winston,

I appreciate your help, but this is probably hundreds of terabytes of data, and we don't have that sort of storage lying around to "see how it goes." We really need to know before we allocate the storage, since it's such a large amount.  So I hope you're right about that Application Size metric. LOL.

Posted: 03-22-2019, 9:17 PM

Hi Sheree

As mentioned before in one of my updates: 

"I recommend to Aux Copy one job (with Compression) and then check the size on disk after the Aux Copy to compare the percentage saving and use that as a general benchmark to calculate the require capacity for disk"

The above test will give you an indication on how much potential space will be consumed, so you can then work whether this will be feasible for the business. 

Kind Regards

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy