Office365 - The argument for backing it up?

Last post 03-26-2019, 8:03 AM by markey164. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Office365 - The argument for backing it up?
    Posted: 03-22-2019, 2:27 PM

Hi all,

I'm interested in your thoughts for backup of Office365? Obviously there are an increasing number of products out there, and some potential "scaremongering" but is the risk so low, as to be an acceptable risk? That seems to be what many organisations deduce. Hence i'm trying to find balance to that argument with real world use cases, if they even exist! 

So with that in mind... 

1. Has anyone ever actually had an Office365 Disaster and lost data? Are there any real world or documented use cases?

2. Ransomware - Has anyone ever had an Office365 ransomware infection and lost data? For a single account, surely you can just roll back the infected account right? Is it possible for an Admin to encrypt everything? If so I assume you can simply roll back from that too? Not pleasant, and potentially time consuming, but still easier than restoring everything from backup. 

3. Are there any limitations of file recovery in Office365/OneDrive? What gaps exist? Where for example a backup product can add value (apart from having an off technology copy)? 

4. Is anyone using any other features of Commvault with Office365, other than basic backup and recovery? Eg governance, compliance, data analytics or anything else etc?

Interested in your thoughts! 

• Re: Office365 - The argument for backing it up?
    Posted: 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM

A customer had data loss once, the only thing microsoft will give you is a discount certificate for your O365 billing, I believe it had a worth of 100 dollars. Microsoft does not deliver restore possibilities, you are responsible for your own data according to the small print in the contract.

Regarding ransomware, this is possible as for instance an user which has infected files uploads it to the cloud, depending on the ransomware it can spread using the account needed for that O365 environment, other environments are not affected as there is a different account needed to access that storage section.

Backing up to on-premise will do fine for mail via EWS method, but sharepoint and onedrive are debatable, currently I have a customer who cannot backup the last two with more than 3.5 GB/hr. So I would make a full backup at the implementation of O365 and then perform an incremental forever strategy to keep the delta's as small as possible.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 03-26-2019, 7:49 AM

Hi Jos,

Do you know *how* the data loss occurred?

Yes I have seen the small print in the Service Level Agreement. Quite right of course.

Good point about *when* to make the decision to backup. Obviously i should be at the beginning as if left too late, it becomes much harder to reach that baseline, before you can start doing incrementals!

Thanks for your thoughts Smile

Posted: 03-26-2019, 7:59 AM

Unfortunately not, I only know that it wasn't the customer who caused it.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Posted: 03-26-2019, 8:03 AM

Jos1982_NL:

Unfortunately not, I only know that it wasn't the customer who caused it.

That's interesting in itself, in that it wasn't the customer that caused it!

Thanks for the feedback!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy