Erase Spare Media

Last post 04-03-2019, 12:58 PM by marcosjsilva. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Erase Spare Media
    Posted: 04-02-2019, 11:00 AM

Hello guys,

I have one Tape Library ACSLS with ~60k emulated tapes and 366virtual drives. My problem at the moment is at the job Erase spare media. Why? Because Commvault mount one tape for each drive untill is fully complete all drives which i can't do almost backups because i have no drives to do it (This happens on the days i have 2k, 3k tapes to erase at one time).

I was searching, but i couldn't find some similar, for reserve like ~20,50 drives for this process to not consume all the resources. At the moment with this process and backups running at the same time i am with a big problem because drives are all reserved to erase and backups are getting errors to mount media at the drives.

Can someone help me?

Many thanks,

marcosjsilva

• Re: Erase Spare Media
    Posted: 04-02-2019, 2:12 PM

Hello,

I am looking into this but was hoping you can provide the following information:

1) What Commvault version and service pack are you on?

2) Is this a VTL behind ACSLS server, or Fujitsu ETERNUS HPe emulating ACSLS?

3) How are you initiating the Erase Media job?  (Marking media as erasable first then scheduling Erase Media job, etc)

Thank you in advance,

Martha

Posted: 04-03-2019, 5:45 AM

Hello Martha,

1) V11 SP13

2) I'm using StorageTek LibAttach at my Commserve to virtualize my Library.

3) I'm marking the erasable media first, with the Data Aging, and after that I run the Erase Spare Media in Quick mode

On my SPs associated with my VTL i marked the option " Marked Media to be Erased After Recycling "

Thanks for your reply.

marcosjsilva

Posted: 04-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the addtional information.   I have looked into this further and it does not seem currently there is a way to define or restrict the number of drives to be used within a library.   Once Erase Spare Media is kicked off, it will reserve all avail resources to cover the media flagged for erase that is available at the time.  Because it is a low level SCSI operation to physical tape drive, it is also non-preemptable.  To assist further, please escalate this issue via Customer Support.

- Martha

Posted: 04-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Hello Martha,

Thanks for your reply. I already open a ticket for the Support. I'm waiting for their solution.

Kind Regards,

marcosjsilva

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy