Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot .....

Last post 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM by Liam. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot .....
    Posted: 04-04-2019, 8:57 AM

Hi,
    i use Simpana 11 with virtual backup agent for vSphere 6.7.
    On one VM i get the error like in the attachment.
    Any idea why?
    I reboot the guest OS and manually i can create a snaphot....

Regards

Dennis

Attachment: Unbenannt.JPG
  • Re: Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot .....
    Posted: 04-04-2019, 10:58 AM

I learned this early on when we moved to commvault.   The answer is right in your print screen.  VMWare Tools is not installed.   In order for the VSA Proxy MediaAgent to perform a snapshot correctly of the VM, it needs VMWare Tools installed.   

I found this from Commvault support forum.   Not sure if it’s related to your scenario. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When CommVault creates a snapshot, it is done through the VMware API. So testing the ability to quiesce the virtual machine can be done by taking a snapshot through VMware and checking the quiesce box. If you can take a quiesced snapshot through VMware, CommVault should be able to do the same. If you can't take one on these machines that are displaying the error, you should see this in the VMware console which is why CommVault also has the error. If you are unable to take a quiesced snapshot, you will want to involve VMware to find out why.

Can a quiesced snapshot be generated in VMware outside of CommVault? Are there errors being generated in the 'events and tasks' of the VMware console during the backups? Are the machines up to date with VMware tools? Are there VSS errors occurring in the machines' event viewer logs? Is this a particularly large VM? Can you test this machine in a spereate sub client to see if the issue occurs when it runs by itself? Do these machines have databases (SQL, Exchange, etc) that need to be quiesced as a standard file system can simply use crash consistent? 

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/c_vmw_backup_application_aware.htm

There is an issue with VMware that is caused when a previous installation of VMware Tools is performed on VMs without the VSS support option selected during the time of the initial install.  Thus, each subsequent installation attempt of VMware Tools 10.1.5 would not install the VMware Snapshot Provider service, even when VSS is chosen.

** From the link above the answer is right here: ** 

By default, when creating a snapshot on a VM, the file system and applications within the VM are quiesced. If the file system and applications cannot be quiesced, a non-quiesced snapshot is taken instead, and a warning is generated.

• Re: Unable to quiesce guest file system during snapshot .....
    Posted: 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 05-22-2019, 12:46 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,587

VMware takes the snapshot with VMware Tools. You can't take a snapshot in the VMware GUI without them either. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy