Separate CommServe and Media Agent roles

Last post 04-12-2019, 8:17 AM by originaljamster. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Separate CommServe and Media Agent roles
    Posted: 04-07-2019, 5:22 AM

Hello All,

I'm planning to separate the roles of CommServe and Media Agent which is on the same physical server. The hostname(FQDN) of the server is: prod_1.company.local and the client name of this server on CommCell Console is: Prod_1. Prod_1 has a Disk Library(DiskLib1) and GDP(GDP_DiskLib1) from Local Disks on the server.

I'm planning to have CommServe on VM after separated. Hostname (prod_1.company.local) and client name (Prod_1) will be the same as before.

I plan to re-install the other physical server as a Media Agent with the new hostname(prod_1_ma.company.local, new client name(Prod_1_MA) on CommCell and the new ip. Disk Library (DiskLib1) and GDP (GDP_DiskLib1) will also be on this server (Prod_1_MA). I don' t want to lose our backups which are on the DiskLib1 and GDP.

In this scenario, I couldn't find a procedure, or could you inform me about the procedure I should follow?

Best Regards.

• Re: Separate CommServe and Media Agent roles
    Posted: 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

We have this documentation:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=4792.htm

After reviewing this, do you have specific questions on any of the steps that may differ from what you are trying to do?

• Re: Separate CommServe and Media Agent roles
    Posted: 04-12-2019, 8:17 AM

Hi Omer,

I have just gone through this process. Just a couple of points of note:

1. If you have any DDBs which exist on the CS/MA, it may be better to perform a DDB partition move to another MA if you are able before starting. I didn't and found following the installation and configuration of the new CS, all DDBs were showing as hosted on the new CS with the original path even though the path didnt exist. I ended up creating the path on the new CS, copied over the DDBs and restarting services to bring the DDBs online. Afterwards, I ran a DDB move to put everything back to where it was.

2. If your CS/MA is a VSA proxy, you may need to perform a reset proxy https://ma.commvault.com/Bol/Details/369012056

Regards,

Jamie

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy