AppAware SQL Backups w/ IntelliSnapForNetapp ?

Last post 04-24-2019, 4:10 PM by GopinathK. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • AppAware SQL Backups w/ IntelliSnapForNetapp ?
    Posted: 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Hi guys,

I'm running V11SP14 w/ IndexV2 for VirtualServerBackups

I'm not quite sure which Snapshot Engine I have to select on the SQL Databases subclient.

For the vCenter AppAware subclient I select "NetApp" as SnapVendor.
    I can now run a backup for the vCenter subClient, that creates the backup for the SQL Instances found.

Is it also possible to run a backup against the SQL Server subClient instead ?
    If I select "NetApp" as a SnapEngine, backup fails, since DB is placed on VMDKs.

With IntelliSnap 4 Netapp Installation I don't see a different SnapEnginge on the SQL Server subclient level.

Other then on the Virtual Server Subclient, where I could also pick "Virtual Server Agent Snap".
    But that does'nt make sence to me.

BR
    Klaus

• Re: AppAware SQL Backups w/ IntelliSnapForNetapp ?
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Hi

We don't any manual configuration at SQL subclient level, at the same time running backups at SQL subclient level is not supported with appaware.

User should configure required options along with appaware at VSA subclient level and run the jobs from VSA subclient level, during the VSA backup job, it automatically configures SQL subclients and run jobs on it. 

Please follow the below documentation for more details.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=104178.htm

Posted: 04-23-2019, 3:20 AM

Thanks shravani chepuri

How can we acheive user isolation / restricted access to VMs running SQL databases ?

The SQL Admin team should be able to fully control backup and restores for their SQL Server.
    Permissions granted on Clientlevel do not enable the SQL Admins to run and plan their own backups.
    Reports on backups are not complete, since VSA part is missing ....

If I grant access to the vCenter Client, SQL Admins also get access to all other VMs present in the vCenter.

Restricting the vCenter User to the required VMs only is not possible w/ IntelliSnap, since datastore and ESX hosts must be accessible for backup (& restore).

BTW: why is an individual Schedule created for the SQL subclients to gather the logfiles ?
    and not a Schedule Policy (or Plan) instead ?
    It's a lot easier / more transparent to access Schedules via Schedule Policies and Plans instead of looking to the daily calender or assiciated schedule to a subclient.
    The SLAs seemed to be set to 2h RPO regardless of any configurable option and must be adjusted to the customers requirements for each instance later on ...

BR
    Klaus

Posted: 04-24-2019, 4:10 PM

Hi,

On respective VSA AppAware subclient restrict user with Role that has dataprotection/management Operations permission to avoid SQL Admins to get access to other Subclients/Virtualization client. On SQL client you can has your db Admins with all required permissions. No need to add other Browse and restore permissions as you dont want SQL Admins to perform any VM restore from VSA AppAware subclient.

From SP15 onwards, Log backups RPO is set to 4 hours.

For log backups, schedules will be created in end of application aware backups by design. if you want to use Schedule policy for log schedule backups, as work around disable log backup schedules(dont delete) and create a schuled policy and log backup schedules under that with required configurations like RPO 4h or more and log file unitlized % and other.

Please try these and let us know result.

Regards

Gopinath

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy