SQL Transaction Logs, Full & Diff backups using different policies and schedules

Last post 05-06-2019, 1:29 PM by wsimps01. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL Transaction Logs, Full & Diff backups using different policies and schedules
    Posted: 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM

My end goal is I am attempting to create a non-dupe policy to use for our SQL transaction log file backup.

Right now (see attachment schedules01) that all use the dedupe policy for all three types of backup (Full, Differential & Transaction Logs).

So while looking throught the properties of the subclient I see a tab where I can specify (see attachment subclient_log storage policy01). I am assuming that I can use the policy I created that does not use the Global Dedupe DB and the Full and Differential backups will still continue to. Is that accurate?

So (see attachment Tlog_nondedupe01) for what it should look like when completed. I know there is two Tlog schedules associated but trying to make sure I'm on the right track.

In basic steps I should be:

1. Create a new non-dedupe storage policy

2. Assocaite the policy with with the subclient via the Transaction Log Tab via Properties

3. Create a new Schedule and associate define my Transaction log frequency

Is this possible? Have I missed anything? Thanks.

• Re: SQL Transaction Logs, Full & Diff backups using different policies and schedules
    Posted: 04-16-2019, 9:14 PM

Your schedule policy defines actual schedules and you already covered all 3 different backup types. So there is no need to create new separate schedule since any log backup will be used storage policy specified in subclient.

If you want to change frequency of transaction log backups, you can just change it in TLLog Backup schedule under your standard schedule policy. And if you want to use newly create non-dedup storage policy, you can just change it in Log storage policy tab.

But in general log backups are not using dedup anyway and by nature they are not dedupable since representing unique set of LSNs.

• Re: SQL Transaction Logs, Full & Diff backups using different policies and schedules
    Posted: 05-01-2019, 6:54 AM

So am I understanding you correctly natively Commvault is intelligent enough to recongize and not use dedup for SQL transaction log backups? Our Global Policy is set for dedup so I thought I needed to create a new non-dedupe policy to exclude them. That make sense?

Posted: 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Unless you want Transaction log backups to use different media or have different set of retention criteria, you don't need to have separate storage policy for log backups.

Posted: 05-06-2019, 1:29 PM

Nadia, thank you for the information and confirmation. I have spent a large amount of time trying to configure something that just works natively in Commvault. I had even opened up an Incident and not once was I told SQL transaction logs are excluded for Deduplication. Thanks again!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy