commvault can't trigger log commandline every 15 minutes from SAPA HANA studio

Last post 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM by Jumin. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • commvault can't trigger log commandline every 15 minutes from SAPA HANA studio
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Hi All

My question is, at SAP HANA studio,  I enable automatic log backup for 15 minutes. 
    but from console, the log command line not running every 15 minutes.
    when i see history backup, the log command line completed backup around 6 hours.
    can you advice me how to make sure commvault trigger the log command line backup for every 15 minutes on job controller
    and also we can see at backup history, the backup run for 15 minutes.

please advice

Thanks in advance.
  • Re: commvault can't trigger log commandline every 15 minutes from SAPA HANA studio
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Hi,

The persistent Log backup running for 6 hours. For any database, which has four volumes, there are 4 logs will be generated and whenever hana send the log backup request, this persistent log backup will backup. 

So the persistent jobs runningg means all the related log backup happening. DO you see any issue?

HANA log backup are in HANA control, whenever log segment filled up, then HANA invoke log backup.

This will eventually comes to commvault and backed up as part of persistent jobs.

Thanks,
    Srinivas

• Re: commvault can't trigger log commandline every 15 minutes from SAPA HANA studio
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

Hi Jumin,

The HANA log backup is controlled by SAP, and even if set for 15 min, HANA might start log backups even more frequently on a busy server.  For this reason Commvault designed a "persistent" backup job that is triggered as soon as a log backup request comes in from HANA for a given service.  There can be several services based on the size and number of databases in the HANA instance.  Each one would trigger its own log backup job in Commvault.     These "Persistent" jobs will live for a default of 6 hours, and will pick up all the log backup requests for a given instance/service.  I have seen up to 4+ jobs for a given HANA instance.  The persistent job improves the performance of the log backup as it keeps the pipeline open to move the data and eliminates the overhead of creating a new pipe for every log backup request that comes in from HANA.  There can be several thousand backups per day for a given instance.  More information on this can be found in the documentation here: Configuring SAP HANA Persistent Log Backups

Let us know if this helps.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Hi Srinivas

Thanks for your explanation. Apprecite it 

Now i undrestood with SAP HANA persistance log working

Thanks & Best Regards

Juhaimin

Posted: 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Hi Ernst F. Graeler

Apprecite with your answer. Now i undrestood with SAP HANA log working.

Thanks & Best Regards

Juhaimin

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy