Duplicating Oracle Database to another machine.

Last post 04-23-2019, 2:08 PM by efg. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Duplicating Oracle Database to another machine.
    Posted: 04-17-2019, 11:34 PM

Hi All,

I just want some clarification regarding using my backups to duplicate an oracle database to a different machine.

I've gone through the document (http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=20193.htm) which states of the value which I need to set to my auxiliary database parameter file (pfile) before starting the duplicate.

I was wondering if there is a need to set those 2 additional parameter (DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT & LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT) since I have an option to redirect all my datafiles & tablespace on the duplication option menu. (http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=20477.htm)

• Re: Duplicating Oracle Database to another machine.
    Posted: 04-18-2019, 2:36 PM

Hi PGTFAMD,

You do not need to do both (and, in fact, probably shouldn't). Use either the Redirect options in the GUI or the *_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameters in Oracle, whichever you prefer.

Posted: 04-18-2019, 8:21 PM

Carl_Manzi:

Hi PGTFAMD,

You do not need to do both (and, in fact, probably shouldn't). Use either the Redirect options in the GUI or the *_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameters in Oracle, whichever you prefer.

Hi Carl_Manzi,

That's the point I don't understand. Suppose the KB document should be update accordingly as it's causing misunderstanding.

Posted: 04-23-2019, 9:19 AM

The first doc you linked only mentions using the parameters and never mentions GUI redirect. The second doc you linked has the following text as the first line in the section about using GUI redirect:

Use this option when you do not want to use the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT option to restore all the data and temp files to a different directory structure from the source database.

Posted: 04-23-2019, 1:21 PM

Hello there,

I have done Duplicate restore multiple times.  I can tell you from my experience, is that I did have to add the "*_FILE_NAME_CONVERT" in the PFILE of the instance I was duplicating too.  The redirect in the GUI would always error out for us.  I escalated a ticket to support multiple times when we were having issues and this was the only solution they came up with that worked.  Good luck! Oracle restores can get messy and I've had to have my Oracle DBA involved every time I've had to perform this restore. 

Posted: 04-23-2019, 2:08 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,678

I know there were some issues in earlier service packs with using the re-directs from the GUI, but I believe all those issues have been fixed.  I have also done numerous duplicate restores, and typically also use the settings in the "PFILE" as it was just more convenient (Once one gets used to the syntax).  But there are some new features for cross server restore (like cross instance restore) that is now available, and with that the PFILE settings won't work (RMAN only uses those settings with the "duplicate" command and not restore) so the redirect from the GUI is the only option at that point.  With that in mind, I do know that there were a number of improvements on this ability.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy