De-dupe server

Last post 04-29-2019, 9:40 AM by suseela. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • De-dupe server
    Posted: 04-24-2019, 9:05 AM

Hi all,

I have a customer who has a separate de-dupe MA hosting all of their DDBs. It does not have SSDs but does have 15K rpm disks for both the OS volume and the volume hosting the de-dupe DBs. From what I understand, this was the recommended spec at the time, having a separate server. Currently they are getting very poor Q&I times, in the region of 42 secs (14 days), 63 secs (3 days).

Looking at the building blocks and MA hardware specification documents, firstly the recommendation is to ensure DDB is hosted on local disk. Also, the DDBs should be hosted on SSD. 

Should the original configuration of a separate de-dupe server be replaced with DDBs moving to local storage on the MAs or is this configuration ok if the hardware is sufficient and fast enough?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: De-dupe server
    Posted: 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Hi originaljamster 

There are no hard set requirements to setting up MA and DDB. 

Commvault documentation is here to provide the Best Practice approach, and in your case depending on the available resources there are various options.

• Option 1 - DDB on a single MA (with separate volumes), coming from SAN Storage with supported IOPs to suffice Q&I performance
    • Option 2 - DDB on a separate MA, coming from SAN Storage with supported IOPs to suffice Q&I performance
    • Option 3 - DDB on a single MA (with separate volumes), coming from local disk with supported IOPs to suffice Q&I performance
    • Option 4 - DDB on a separate MA, coming from local disk with supported IOPs to suffice Q&I performance

All the above options will work, but the key factor is to ensure each configuration has sufficient:
    • CPU
    • Memory 
    • Storage 
    • IOPs

The only downside I can think of, when having all DDB on one MA is the resourcing and performance.

Hopefully this helps 

Regards 

Winston
    Posted: 04-26-2019, 8:24 AM

hi,

we would recommend you to move V5 DDB which will help with Q&I times. please raise an escalation and we will help you with that process.

thanks

Suseela

devlopement.

Posted: 04-29-2019, 4:43 AM

Hi Suseela,

Are there any specific pre-requisites before moving to v5 DDB? This site is currently running v11 SP10 but it is planned to move to v11 SP14 for example soon. Also, the server hosting all DDBs has 24GB RAM but may be getting increased to 32GB RAM as a medium sized MA is now required.

Thanks,

Jamie

Posted: 04-29-2019, 9:40 AM

Hi Jamie

If you want to convert existing DDB to V5 then we have to do sec file compaction before enabling new features. if you escalate we can help you with that.

more information can be found here.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=108822.htm

thanks

Suseela

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy