Slow read throughput

Last post 05-17-2019, 6:59 PM by Wwong. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Slow read throughput
    Posted: 05-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Hi there,

I have a DL380 Gen10 with hardware raid controller (P816a-i) with FBWC and 8x 4TB SATA Disks with RAID 6.

When I validate the mount path, I see 1113 MB/Sec write throughput and 145 MB/Sec read throughput.

I was expecting write to be way less than read.

Any ideia if this is normal, and how can I improve the read performance?

Thanks

• Re: Slow read throughput
    Posted: 05-17-2019, 2:41 PM

Hi Ricardo,

I haven't interfaced with the P816a-i before but I have deployed a few G10s with the p408i. The P408i's have an option on them to adjust how much of the cache is used for read vs. write. Just out of curiosity does the p816a have any such option?

Respectfully,

-Brian

• Re: Slow read throughput
    Posted: 05-17-2019, 6:59 PM

Hi Ricardoduarte

When using "Validate Mount Path" it will only use sequential Read/Write Process, so the values might not be too accurate. 

With any Storage Device, there are Front-end Storage Cache which will cache in the Read/Write Blocks (base on Most/Les Recently Use LRU/MRU).

To truly test out the Read/Write performance, you will need to use random I/O's or try to write large amount of data to the Storage Device (an amount which is greater then the Cache), so it will bypass the cache and flush the I/O's straight to Disk. 

Once you have a baseline of the Read/Write performance, then you can consider how to improve it, whether this is related to Block Size, RAID Configuration, Cache Configuration and etc.

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy