SQL Server subclient V11 - Subclient Type

Last post 06-03-2019, 10:22 AM by Tom Van Harpen. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL Server subclient V11 - Subclient Type
    Posted: 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM

When we setup all our backups we were on V10 i think. 

Now the subclients have a subclient type dropdown with the values:

• None
    • Full Recovery
    • Simple Recovery
    • System Databases

I have some that are set to System Databases, but most are just "None".

I'm curious if these affect the behavior in any way or if they are just informational?

Thx

• Re: SQL Server subclient V11 - Subclient Type
    Posted: 06-03-2019, 9:56 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

You can create four types of subclients. Use these subclients for backing up different types of databases based on their recovery models.

• Full Recovery Model - Use this subclient type to back up the databases where recovery model is set to full.
    • Simple Recovery Model - Use this subclient type to back up the databases where recovery model is set to simple.
    • System Databases - Use this subclient type to back up the SQL Server system databases like master, msdb, and model.
    • None - Use this subclient type to back up any database type.
  • Re: SQL Server subclient V11 - Subclient Type
    Posted: 06-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the reply!

So it sounds like these are just informational. 

We are backing up all user databases to the default subclient and i have the default setup with full, diff, and tran log backups. If the databases are not full recovery then the tran log doesn't do anything. 

I also have a separate subclient for system, and i tag those as the system subclient type and turn off auto discovery.

I'm curious if I set the subclient type to full recovery and set auto discovery to true would only discover full recovery databases? Likewise for simple.

thanks

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy