Orphaned files on backup storage

Last post 06-05-2019, 6:01 PM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Orphaned files on backup storage
    Posted: 05-31-2019, 10:54 AM

I have an old disk library that I'm going to decomission in the new future.  When I check within the CommVault GUI, there are no backups on the drives.  For example, drive L:

Yet when I go to the server itself, I still see lots of files there:

My question is:  What's the best way to clean up these orphaned files? 

Ken

• Re: Orphaned files on backup storage
    Posted: 06-05-2019, 6:01 PM

Hi Ken

I assume that you are currently using Deduplication. So when Deduplication is enabled in CommVault it will write baseline data to the Mount Path (CHUNKs, Volumes and SFILES - Commvault way of writing data), which will be re-used if a similar reference is found. 

The Mount Path then becomes associated to the Deduplication Policy.

If you are on version SP14 or later, Commvault has introduced in "Allocation Policy" -> Prevent data block references for new backups

"When selected, the deduplicated blocks in the mount path will not be referenced when there are multiple mount paths in the library. (Choose this option if you plan to retire the mount path.)"

Documentation - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9495.htm#o105501

The above purpose also works when you have losted the backend storage of the Mount Path. 

By selecting the Option, you will inform Commvault to not reference Blocks on the Lost Mount Path, and Commvault will write new reference to other existing Mount Path. 

Otherwise if you are prior to SP14, you might need to mark the current Mount Path "Disable for new writes" seal the associated DDB to the Mount Path. Then let CommVault age out the data, and once all referenced blocks are pruned from the Mount Path, this will also dis-associated the DDB. At this point you should be able to remove the Mount Path gracefully.

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy