How to run a Windows backup post Linux backup

Last post 06-10-2019, 1:57 PM by gman09. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to run a Windows backup post Linux backup
    Posted: 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM

v11 SP14

I have a requirement to backup a windows file share immediately following a Linux Oracle DB backup.

Does anyone have any examples of how this would work?  I've thought about creating a workflow, but if there's another way (via script) I'd like to ive that a try (using the post backup of the DB backup). 

Thanks.

Gerry

• Re: How to run a Windows backup post Linux backup
    Posted: 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM

Maybe setup a job success alert and run a script to do the next backup?

Posted: 06-05-2019, 1:26 PM

Great idea - I set up an alert with a workflow to run after a successful backup.  Thanks.

Posted: 06-05-2019, 2:46 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

You can use the post backup script config in the subclient, combined with a backup script saved using the "Save as script" feature.  If you go to the Windows server where you have the file share (I'm assuming its in its own subclient) and using the "Save as script" option save the script to the Linux client where you run the oracle backup.   Then call that script from the Oracle client in the post backup script.   You will need to "tweak" the script and supply the full path to the "XML" file that gets generated with the script.  (by default the script is created assuming that it will be executed from the same directory where the xml file is located, but pre/post scripts are executed from the CV install path.)

This way as soon as the oracle backup completes it will trigger the windows file share backup.

Also...  I would recommend to use the "asyncronous" option in save as script so that the oracle backup completes as soon as it triggers the windows backup job and doesn't wait for that backup to complete.  :)

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 06-09-2019, 8:29 PM

Hi Gerry

You can also consider "Creating a Continuous Schedule" -https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6699.htm

"The continuous schedules trigger the next job session whether the previous job session completes successfully or fails. However, if you suspend the running job, the schedule waits for the job to resume and complete before starting the next job session."

By doing the above, this will automatically trigger the next job, upon completion/failure of the first jobs. 

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 06-10-2019, 1:57 PM

Thanks Ernie and Winston.  I went ahead and created an alert to kick off a workflow job.  It seems to work well.  Thanks again for your input.

Gerry

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy