Disk Pruning Critical Alert - identify the old records/data

Last post 06-24-2019, 9:26 AM by Wwong. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disk Pruning Critical Alert - identify the old records/data
    Posted: 06-04-2019, 12:28 PM

On one of our SIDB (SIDB_GDSP-del_GDSP-del_Primary) I am getting the following critical alert: 10% of Primary block count or Records older than 7 days > 10000

I cannot seem to figure out what, if any, report I can run to see what data isn't expiring and so I can possibly manually prune it.

Any suggestions?

• Re: Disk Pruning Critical Alert - identify the old records/data
    Posted: 06-05-2019, 3:24 AM

These are alerts generated by thresholds set in the Media Management under the Commvault Control Panel.  https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11019.htm.

Specifically, this settting is relevant : Days to consider for pending logical pruning for Deduplication pruning threshold event.  This parameter allows you to generate an event message when the number of deleted records are older than the 7 days and meets the threshold value specified in the Max number of records pending logical pruning for Deduplication pruning threshold event parameter.  The Default Value is 7 days.

Does your DDB show a large number of blocks pending deletion?  Is the average DDB Q&I time acceptable?

Posted: 06-09-2019, 9:01 PM

Hi wsimps01

As highlighted by Anthony, the alerts are usually generated if the DDB "Pending Deletes" are high

"Pending Deletes" refers to logical blocks/signature which has met retention and needs to be Physically pruned from Disk Library, but due to resourcing/performance or other various reason it might not be cleaned, resulting in the alert.

You can navigate to the Deduplication Database, scroll down to the section "DDB Statistics" and there should be a table for "Number of Pending Delete Records" -> if it is greater then 10000, then it is higher then the threhold limit (the default is 10000)

If the "Number of Pending Delete Records" is continuing to grow, I would recommend to engage support to look into this further.

Kind regards

Winston 

Posted: 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Anthony and Wiston,

First of all thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am attaching some screen shots because what I see is 185k Pending Prunable Records. I also see in a couple of different views a large number of Pending delete records.

Both seem extremely high. I have worked with support in the past about high q&i and when they remote in and check the numbers show high but within acceptable parameters.

I don't suppose there is another process that can be ran to delete these records or see what is pending to see if they can be removed from the queue?

Posted: 06-20-2019, 3:39 PM

From my experience as long as your pending pruning records is getting to zero, then you should be fine.

Do you run data aging every day?

What is your backup retention?

I have attached a few images of our stats

Posted: 06-20-2019, 7:41 PM

Can you check if the enable transactional DDB feature has been ticked on the settings for DDB engine database?

Posted: 06-24-2019, 9:26 AM

Hi wsimps01

From the review of the screenshots, we can see that the Pending Delete Records fluctuate quite a bit, with a large amount of Pending Deletes in late May.

The overall Q&I time is not outrageously high, but will definitely have some form of performance hit. 

Furthermore being 160+ TB of "Total Data Size on Disk" can you please confirm the hardware that is used to configure the DDB ?

As Pending delete is the primary concern you can also consider the following:

Recommendation - as of SP14 Commvault has also introduce enhancement to DDB (known as V5 DDB), which support what is known as (DDB) Pruning (Garbage Collection) - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=108822.htm 

"The Garbage Collection feature optimizes the DDB performance by reducing the DDB disk IO during the data pruning process. With the Garbage Collection feature, the DDB disk is parsed once every 24 hours to mark the CommServe job records for pruning and the data aging process prunes these marked CommServe job records."

Hopefully this helps

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy