vRealize Suite 7.0 Backup

Last post 06-26-2019, 1:11 AM by ishaarora. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • vRealize Suite 7.0 Backup
    Posted: 06-19-2019, 10:43 PM

How shall one protect the Vrealize automation envrioment 

vRealize Suite 7.0 Backup

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Suite/7.0/com.vmware.vrsuite.backuprestore.doc/GUID-5FEA65A2-84D9-417D-9D15-C3E97C873E28.html

I looked at VMWARE guide and it says "disable quiesce" and that is how it is configured in AMVAR and netapp; so I guess it would be similar in Commvault 

also, it does say to proetct the VMs in a certain order; but I think in Commvault once you group these VMs you cant define the backup order in that sub-client. I am thinking of increase the data readers to say 4 to protect more VMs at the same time? 

• Re: vRealize Suite 7.0 Backup
    Posted: 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Also interested in the answer for this. 

Posted: 06-24-2019, 3:41 PM

You can backup vrealize environment using commvault vrealize plugin.

Its available in commvault store.

Can you please tell Commvault Service Pack that you are using. From Service Pack 16, the default data readers on any new Virtual Server Subclients will be 5.

And for the backup priority, we can set the VM client properties job priority option. We need to discover VMs without backup and set this after that.

These are the links for Service Pack 16

Search for priority in the below link, to check how to set VM client priority,

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=99826.htm

vRealize Automation link

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=32458.htm

Posted: 06-24-2019, 3:47 PM

I think we are talking about two different things. The vrealize components require to be backed up in a certain order according to VMware.

Take a look here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Suite/2017/com.vmware.vrsuite.backuprestore.doc/GUID-E478EB47-49F1-41E3-9CE1-5FE3B8405447.html

The plugin seems to be more related to the vms that were deployed with vRealize and not to the vrealize components. 

Posted: 06-24-2019, 4:06 PM

I believe you have VMs for all the vRealize components. Is that right?

Also can you please tell the Commvault Service Pack that you are using.

Posted: 06-24-2019, 4:24 PM

SP15 HPK18

Posted: 06-24-2019, 4:40 PM

If you have VMs for all the components, then its simply Virtual Machine backup and we need to create Virtual Server subclient for that.

Create a Client for that vcenter server where these VMs are present.

And add all the VMs to a subclient.

From SP14 onwards, we have an option to create clients for discovered VMs. 

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=104558.htm

This option will create VM client for all these VMs before we run backup.

Then we can modify the job priority on each VM client according to the order mentioned in the vmware link you had shared.

Use the link to set priority for each virtual machine client

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp15/article?p=104558.htm

Once this is done, we can run backup on this subclient. It will consider the priority order set and backup vms in that order.

Please let me know if this helps.

Posted: 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM

Prioritize per vm? I have never seen this before. Where do you see that? 

In regards to the vm subclient, I already have that and runs perfect without any problem. I have never seen the priorization on a particular vm? That doesnt not exists as far as I know

The only way I am actually seeing this happening is created one subclient per vm, then assigning a different schedule for each one of them which to me seems unpractical. 

Posted: 06-25-2019, 2:57 PM

There is an option to set the job priority

You can find it under Advanced properties of VM client. Attached screenshot from SP15 setup.

Check this link for setting Job Priorities for a client

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp15/article?p=6516.htm

Attachment: VMJobPriority.PNG
    Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:03 PM

Yup that one is different though. This is related to the job once it is running which doesnt actually help a all lot with VRealize. That is completely different from what I can see.

Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:06 PM

Also, please make sure to have only one proxy at the subclient level.

Otherwise the VMs will be backed up by all available streams from multiple proxies and may end up with parallel backup and not follow the priority.

Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:08 PM

How is it different? Can you please explain.

I think it does the same work as having different schedules. You can try this for two different VMs which are not part of vRealize and see if it maintains the order for backup. 

Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:09 PM

It seems that we are using a functionality to address something that was not designed to. Like it doesnt seem to be the final solution though. Will investigate more.

Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:12 PM

My answer is for this question in the first post.

also, it does say to proetct the VMs in a certain order; but I think in Commvault once you group these VMs you cant define the backup order in that sub-client

Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:38 PM

We can have a call to discuss this. Let me know if that works and your available time and day. 

Posted: 06-26-2019, 12:44 AM

I have decided to back up all the VMs in the same sub-client and install an sQL agent on the SQL server and do the datbase level backup.  I am doing the crash consistent backup of the VMs as advised by VMWARE however we will also do a test resotre of the envrionment to see if this setup works 

Posted: 06-26-2019, 1:11 AM

Sure, let us know if you need any help. We can discuss on call.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy