New Library not reading tape data

Last post 06-20-2019, 4:13 PM by drhooves. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • New Library not reading tape data
    Posted: 06-20-2019, 8:12 AM

Hi,

I have installed a new Quantum Scalar i3 tape library (LTO7) which is now operational.

We have a few tapes with data on them which was backed up by a standalone drive during the migration to the new library.  As the standalone drive could not read the barcodes on the tape it generate a random one.

When i import these into the new library it shows these as empty tapes. 

How can i get the library to recogise these tapes as having data on them?

Thanks

• Re: New Library not reading tape data
    Posted: 06-20-2019, 3:46 PM

Since the library is looking for barcodes, you could try printing some labels with the random serial # that was assigned to them, and put the label on the tapes.   I used a Brother label maker in the past to print up some barcodes for tapes.

Another option that may work is to catalog the tapes.  I have not used this before, but it seems like it should work.
    https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11992.htm

• Re: New Library not reading tape data
    Posted: 06-20-2019, 4:13 PM

If the backup jobs from the standalone drive reflect the random barcode, you could try right-clicking on the volume, and then "update barcode" to change it to the external barcode.  Make sure you match up the internal and external labels properly.  You may have to access the "assigned media" on the standalone library sub-tree to access any volumes not in the new library.

This is assuming you did not start up a new Commcell with the installation of the library.  Otherwise you may need to use the catalog function referenced above.

Another thing - make sure the character length matches - ie, some libraries default to using six characters, and others use the "L7" on the end as an 8 character.  Commvault considers those two different volumes.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy