Deconfiguring Old Tape Library

Last post 06-30-2019, 7:28 AM by Wwong. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Deconfiguring Old Tape Library
    Posted: 06-25-2019, 3:38 AM

Hi,

I am looking to remove an old tape library from within CommVault.  The library itself is physically removed but getting the below error when try to deconfigure.

"Failure during delete operation on CommServe Database"

I think the issue might be that it can still see media in the library but cannot export these as its offline.

Is there a way i can force the removal?

Thanks

• Re: Deconfiguring Old Tape Library
    Posted: 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM

obviously, there are no storage policies still associated to the library, so it should be pretty straight forward

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10202.htm

If this is not working, then a support ticket will be needed for them to review your DB.

Posted: 06-26-2019, 3:59 AM

Yes, thats what i have been trying but not working unfortunately.

The issue could possibily be that it still shows tapes in library and appear in my Vault Tracker report for export.

As there is no active controller for this library it will not allow me to export them.

Posted: 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM

If you still have access to the tapes themselves and you have a new tape library, I would physically put them in it.

CV should recognize them and then automatically update the database as being associated with the new tape library.

Even if they are more than 2 generations old (an LTO6 tape drive won't be able to read an LTO3 tape), all CV should need to do is read and recognize the barcode.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 06-28-2019, 2:38 PM

Did you try to run the deconfigure command and did it leave a greyed-out display of the library?  That step should remove the slots and make the tapes that were in the library orphans.

But the other tapes associated with the old library have to be moved to a new library before you can delete the old one.  Or, as was suggested, you can simply put the old tapes in the new library to update the association.

Posted: 06-30-2019, 7:28 AM

Hi Keith 

Can you please share a screenshot of the error when trying to delete the Tape Library, as a well as log snippet of EvMgrS.log (on the CommServe), this should show more details on why the deletion is failing. 

Furthermore, if you can also share a screenshot of the Library (fully expanded) that would be great. 

The issue itself sounds like a resource lock on the CSDB, due to another operation or feature holding some form of association to the Tape Library. 

If the logs are not showing enough information, then I would recommend to go and engage support as they can review the environment and DB to determine the RCA

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy