Easy way to schedule incremental and full backup for a subclient in the same workflow.

Last post 07-11-2019, 3:19 PM by bstibal. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Easy way to schedule incremental and full backup for a subclient in the same workflow.
    Posted: 06-28-2019, 8:52 AM

I would like to schedule a backup using workflow (incrementals and full) so while using QCommands>Operations>Backup

I can only select one backupType at a time : Q_INC or Q_FULL or Q_DIFF or Q_SYNTH

I would like to schedule incremental backups on few days and full backup for one particular day of a week. Is there any easy way to achieve this rather than creating 2 workflows for each backuptype.

Frown
  • Re: Easy way to schedule incremental and full backup for a subclient in the same workflow.
    Posted: 06-30-2019, 7:23 AM

Hi alligator89

Is there are reason why we are using qcommands and workflow to facilitate the scheduling of backup jobs?

Since you would like to run Incremental and Full on different days of the week, the normal schedule should work, and all you need to do is assign the specific client to the schedule upon creation. 

If you can share the specific scenario, we can see if there are other options to make it easier for you.

Regards

Winston 

• Re: Easy way to schedule incremental and full backup for a subclient in the same workflow.
    Posted: 07-01-2019, 8:48 AM

I want to run other backups (DDB, index, DDB verification) jobs post that to run one after the other and efficiently use the power management option. (CV media agent is an EC2 instance in AWS)

So instead of scheduling each job at a particular time, i want to run it using workflow.

Posted: 07-01-2019, 9:17 AM

Maybe schedule the backups as you normally would using schedule and then have a workflow which will just hang around while jobs are running and then do the follow up actions once the scheduled backups are done?

Posted: 07-11-2019, 3:19 PM

You should be able to do all of this in 1 WorkFlow. You could use the java.util.Calender to determine the day of the week and then set a variable on what type of backup to run, Full, Diff, Incr, etc.

I also prefer running the QCommands> Operation> Execute verses QCommands>Operations>Backup.

If you go through the manual steps of setting up an adhoc backup there is an option – Save As Script – once you save that as a script you now have the xml code for that backup. You would copy that xml code and then paste in the inputXML in the Execute operation I mentioned previously. Things such as clientName or backupLevel can then be a variable. Example: <clientName>xpath:{/workflow/variables/secondaryServer_Shard02}</clientName>

If I am understanding your WorkFlow needs correctly I would see a script to determine what day of the week it is and then set a variable to be Full, Diff, Incr, etc. Then the Execute operation you would replace the coded option with the variable.

Example: <backupLevel>FULL</backupLevel> as created from Save as Script

<backupLevel>xpath:{/workflow/variables/backupOption}</backupLevel> - using variable set from script.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy