IntelliSnap

Last post 07-10-2019, 7:42 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • IntelliSnap
    Posted: 07-03-2019, 3:44 AM

Hello Team,

Kindly note that I am planning to use Commvault to backup my datawarehouse production and development environment.

The development database (Oracle 12.2.0, OS RHEL 7.4) are on Huawei OceanStor 6800 and production database (ZFS storage and Solaris servers). Production has not yet been provisioned.

Please advise if the Oceanstor 6800 will be compatible with IntelliSnap?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp5/article?p=features/snap_backup/prerequisites/r_snap_huawei_sysreq.htm

I am planning to use IntelliSnap to backup the databases instead of RMAN since RMAN will be too slow. I am panning to apply same architecture from 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=37032.htm

but with no Netapp.

The DEV database has been provisioned on raw disks(ASM). Maximum downtime will be not more than 1 hour. So, IntelliSnap RDM will be used.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=36447.htm

I will plan to do a full synthetic backup once a week and an incremental synthetic backup everyday(every 15 minutes).

Furthermore, the backup which will be backed up on disk will be copied to another site on tape using DAASH COPY.

Please advise if the architecture will be adequate.

Regards,

Roshan

• Re: IntelliSnap
    Posted: 07-03-2019, 6:06 PM

Hi Roshan

Please review the latest Documentation for (SP15) - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp15/article?p=33652.htm

Commvault does support the Huawei OceanStor V5 Converged Storage (same family as the 6800), so Intellisnap should work on Huawei Storage. 

In regards to the setup, just for clarification it will be:

• Primary Snap on Huawei OceanStor 6800
    • Then you will create a Backup Copy to Disk ??
    • Then from the new Disk Copy you will Aux Copy to Tape ?? 
    or
    • Primary Snap on Huawei OceanStor 6800
    • Then you will Vault (mirroring( to another Huawei Storage ??
    • Then create a Backup Copy to Disk ??
    • From Disk Copy it will Aux Copy to Tape??

It would be great if you can clarify the above

Note - DASH Copy will only work between two Disk Copy, you can't DASH Copy from Disk to Tape. 

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 07-04-2019, 2:46 AM

Hi Winston,

thanks for the update.

Kindly advise which one among these 2 will be best.

Please advise if Vault mirroring will be feasible between ZFS and Huawei storage - given that I have only 1 ZFS storage? if not, then we will opt for option 1 for my production environment.

Option 2 can be tested for my DEV databases since we have 2 Hauwei storage(1 on primary site and another on secondary site). 

The database will be snapped every 6 hours and logs every 30 minutes.

Kindly advise how I can proceed - how many servers should I provision for the setup and what softwares need to be downloaded ...

Will deduplication occur? WIll RDM be used since my database is on ASM(raw disks)?

Thanks and Regards,

Roshan

Posted: 07-10-2019, 7:42 AM

Hi Roshan 

Also responded to your other post - http://forum.commvault.com/forums/thread/63192.aspx

The above is moving towards Architecture and Design, and I would recommend you to engage the Commvault Account Rep to discuss this further. 

At the moment there are various unknowns and business requirement, which might require further review before a proper solution can be provided. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy