OS Patching (Windows and Linux)

Last post 07-15-2019, 7:05 AM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • OS Patching (Windows and Linux)
    Posted: 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to hear how people are handling OS updates.

Do you have a special process for updating machines that run CV?

I'm curious as to if you stop backup jobs, services, dedupe processes or just update the servers with CV running?

I know there's been a couple of forum posts in the past about this, and it seems CV doesn't really have a "best practice" as far as I can tell.

Best Practice for Windows Updates 

http://forum.commvault.com/forums/39288/ShowThread.aspx#39288

Has anyone tried the process below?

Install Windows Updates Workflow

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=49799.htm

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

Kris

• Re: OS Patching (Windows and Linux)
    Posted: 07-15-2019, 7:05 AM

Hi Kris 

I havent personally ran the workflow before, but the standard process (if doing an OS upgrade manually)

• Suspend all the jobs going to the Client (if this is an MediaAgent, ensure all jobs are suspended)
    • If this is a MediaAgent I will also put it into "Maintenance" (from Properties of MediaAgent)
    • Log on to the Client/MediaAgent and stop the Services 
    • Ensure all the Commvault Services are stopped 
      • Note - if this is the MediaAgent, ensure you don't see SIDB2 in the Process Manager or the OS Task Manager
      • SIDB2 process is used to engage the Deduplication on the MediaAgent, if this doesn't come down and a reboot is initiated, this could cause the DDB to be corrupted
    • Once all Services are stopped you can proceed with Windows patching (assuming this will be a good time for a reboot as well)

Hopefully that helps 

Regards

Winston
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy