Can Automatic Data Ageing Work During Synchronous Auxiliary Copy ?

Last post 07-19-2019, 4:55 AM by Anthony.Hodges. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Can Automatic Data Ageing Work During Synchronous Auxiliary Copy ?
    Posted: 07-18-2019, 10:43 AM

My contact in Commvault is telling me it can't, but my observations of of data ageing logs and free space seem to say otherwise.  I'm just not sure.

We have a really big aux copy slowly running and I want to clear space from aged jobs as soon as possible as we're out of free space on our primary disk library.  Do i really need to keep cancelling the aux copy and allowing data ageing and aux copy to resume in order to clear space previously used by now aged jobs ?

The storage policy has a primary, synchronous and selective copy.  It's the synchronous copy I'm referring to.  We're running Commvault v11 SP12.

--
    huddie
  • Re: Can Automatic Data Ageing Work During Synchronous Auxiliary Copy ?
    Posted: 07-19-2019, 1:52 AM

It is possible that the sidbprune process is being held back due to insufficient quiet time to prune whilst the MA/DDB is too busy.

I suggest working through some of the troubleshooting described in this KB article : http://kb.commvault.com/DD0057

Posted: 07-19-2019, 3:36 AM

Anthony.Hodges:

It is possible that the sidbprune process is being held back due to insufficient quiet time to prune whilst the MA/DDB is too busy.

I suggest working through some of the troubleshooting described in this KB article : http://kb.commvault.com/DD0057

But is it supposed to be possible to have data ageing and pruning during aux copy  as per my original question? 

--
    huddie
    Posted: 07-19-2019, 4:55 AM
    Yes it can.

Data Aging just takes place in the CommServe DB and just affects the backup Job ID's - run a Forecast report on the storage policy copy you think have job id's that should have aged but haven't.

Pruning happens asynchronously and if the media agent is too busy, then sidbprune will take a back seat.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy