Backing up Sharepoint application

Last post 08-16-2019, 2:24 PM by Sridhar. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backing up Sharepoint application
    Posted: 07-19-2019, 5:07 AM

Hi, can someone guide me on how to perform a proper setup to backup Sharepoint?

Currently my sharepoint application isn't backup properly. The application (sharepoint) has an application server & a database server, each of the server is backup using different software. Veeam for application server & CMV for DB server. With this setup, we're aren't able to utilize the file recovery for sharepoint.

I'm being task to migrate the application server backup over to Commvault & properly setup sharepoint backups using CMV. I'm not familiar with Sharepoint thus I don't understand what is a Farm or Document environment mention on this document. (http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=17821.htm)

• Re: Backing up Sharepoint application
    Posted: 07-19-2019, 10:14 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 11-11-2019, 9:19 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,736
    Farm = Database. Document = granular file level.

Posted: 07-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Hi Liam,

I did refer to the KB provided by Commvault, but I'm still very confuse. 

Supposely I can create a sharepoint farm consist of my sharepoint SQL DB & it's apps server. However when I tried to add a new sharepoint farm client, I couldn't get any servers details on the Associate Member Servers page.

Posted: 07-25-2019, 10:56 AM

Hi Jason,

So to confirm you installed SharePoint iDA on the one of the servers in the FARM and SQL iDA on the SQL Server.

Post-install considerations:

• From the SharePoint Server Properties dialog box, type the Windows administrator account that has Local administrator privileges on the computer where SharePoint agent is installed. The account will be given the required permissions to run backup and restrores using the validate option.
    • http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=57645.htm

To achieve Granular backup and restore you need to run:

Document backup: Locate the default created backup set named "Documents" when you expand the SharePoint client in the comcell console.

The default subclient will backup all the sites in the FARM, you can create new subclient if you intend to backup only some sites. At browse screen you have the option to select specific site collection/ web / library.

Offline mining: Offline mining approach is much quicker as it flat database backup and at restore you specify the instance name and sql database.

To achieve FARM level backup and restore capability you need to run:

Database backup: 

Locate the default created backup set named "Databases" when you expand the SharePoint client in the comcell console.

The default subclient will backup all components in the FARM, which includes Web Applications, Service Applications like Search etc.

For now you can skip creation of the FARM and try the above options and see if it suits your requirement. 

Posted: 08-15-2019, 11:59 PM

I've manage to configure the Document level backups by installing the sharepoint agent to sharepoint's application server. First full backup take ages Cry learned from support that this is known issue & suggest me to only run incrementals & syn full backups.

Anyway, I keep my existing database server backups. So does that means I can skip the sharepoint agent's Database backup?

Any difference between using Sharepoint Agent to backup the DB compare to SQL agent on the DB server ?

Posted: 08-16-2019, 2:24 PM

Hi Jason,

There is no known issue for Full backup, time taken for Full backup is related to the size of the content which backup is running. So if you are backing up for huge data the time taken will be considerably more.

And you can compare the time taken by running a native backup from SharePoint Central admin for the same content and compare the results.

Anyway, I keep my existing database server backups. So does that means I can skip the sharepoint 
    agent's Database backup?

Answer: Backup taken from SQL server using SQL iDA agent is only the Database part of it. For the front end
    data like Service Applications, Web Application and other SharePoint components you need SharePoint iDA
    backup.

Any difference between using Sharepoint Agent to backup the DB compare to SQL agent on the
    DB server ?

you can refer the answer above, SharePoint agent Database backup will backup both components from 
    SharePoint and SQL in the same job and this helps to maintain consistency.
    And SQL agent when it runs backup for the server it will skip SharePoint db's and will backup the rest
    like master etc.

Thanks
    Sridhar
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy