Hotfix Packs Downloaded - Not Installed

Last post 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM by Liam. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Hotfix Packs Downloaded - Not Installed
    Posted: 07-29-2019, 12:16 PM

I have a MA I need to update.

It shows V11 SP15+.

My CS is at V11 SP15 HPK16.

HPK21 is downloaded on the CS and so the status is "Needs Update".

If I update the MA from the CS will it install HPK21 and then be newer than the CS itself?

Thanks

• Re: Hotfix Packs Downloaded - Not Installed
    Posted: 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

If the updates are done through the GUI the MA can't be at a higher level then what is installed on the CommServe. 

Posted: 07-29-2019, 12:25 PM

Okay I just wanted to confirm that.

Thanks

Kris

Posted: 07-30-2019, 12:36 AM

Hi,

Possibly on earlier versions than you're running, but we have found that when a hotfix pack is in the software cache but not installed on the Commserve or Media Agent it can be pushed to a client via a install software update job and then the client ends up ahead of the Media Agent and the Commserve.

This was not the case with Service Packs, they didn't get released to the clients/MA before the Commserve has it installed - in my experience.

Thanks,

Damian

Posted: 07-30-2019, 9:19 AM

On the MA in question I set the Cache Source to the CS (which has SP15 HPK16 installed, but has HPK21 in the Update Status window - Status "Needs Update").

I then chose "Install Service Packs and Hotfixes" on the MA and it installed HPK16 just like the CS, so it worked out fine.

Posted: 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

There are two caches for installations. One is for what is available to the CommServe and the other is for what is avaialable to the rest of the enviroment because it is installed on the CommServe already. This is why the clients and media agents can show up to date when the CommServe shows needs updates. If you can push updates\hotfixes from the CommServe via the GUI to clients and\or media agents resulting in a higher level then the CommServe please open a ticket. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy