O365 Exchange Online Retention Policy

Last post 08-13-2019, 11:44 PM by mheloy. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • O365 Exchange Online Retention Policy
    Posted: 08-07-2019, 7:38 PM

Hi,

Our exchange backup is working fine, then I stumble upon wherein the backups are not expiring in the disk library (I was looking for jobs to expire because of running out of space in the disk library)

I've set the archiving to run everyday Backup to Disk Library... AUX Copy to Remote Disk Library ... then RUN to tapes,

Retention is to 7 years in the exchange online subclient...

No cleanup policy assigned

when I ran the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report, it shows the backups are retain ("Reason for not Aging") is INFINITE.

Question

1. What is the difference between this INFINITE and 7 years retention in the SUBCLIENT, and the retention set in the Storage policy

2. I want to move the job copies from Disk to TAPE and apply the retention 7 year policy in the Tape. I need to free space in the disk library

Thanks

• Re: O365 Exchange Online Retention Policy
    Posted: 08-12-2019, 4:49 AM

Hi mheloy,

Check your Configuration Policies, specifically the Exchange Retention Policy.  The default is Infinite https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=28891.htm

Also note the Exchange Retention Policy overides the Storage Policy.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=28878.htm

Types of Exchange Policies

The following table describes the Exchange policies.

Policy type

Description

Archiving

This policy determines the archiving and content indexing criteria. The archiving policy defines how the data is protected, but not whether messages are stubbed. Stubbing is defined by the cleanup policy.

Cleanup

This policy determines whether messages should be stubbed or deleted, and whether messages are removed from the Exchange server after they are stubbed.

Journal

This policy determines what happens to journaled messages after they are archived and if they are content indexed.

Retention

This policy determines how long messages remain on the MediaAgent. Retention is based on the message's received time.

Important:

• The Exchange Mailbox Agent uses the retention rules that are defined in the Exchange retention policy. The agent does not use the retention rules that are defined in the storage policy. Therefore, if you have multiple agents in your environment, use a different storage policy for the Exchange Mailbox Agent than the storage policy that you used for the other agents.
    • The Infinite retention rule is applied by default. If you do not assign a retention policy, the Infinite retention rule is assigned automatically and messages are retained indefinitely.
    Posted: 08-12-2019, 6:06 PM
    Hi,

Yup, i did not realize that until recently. the Exchange policy overrides the Storage policy. so my primary, secondary and tape copies does not expire until the Exchange retention policy is met.

Can I manually delete the primary (Disk Library) copies? since I'm confident that the Secondary and tape copies are there?

Thanks
    Posted: 08-12-2019, 11:04 PM

If you confident that it has been protected elsewhere then, sure you can.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=13973.htm

Delete a Job from the Copy

You can delete backup jobs from a synchronous copy as required.

If a job is deleted, by default the next job is forced to be a full backup, ensuring a consistent cycle that captures all available data. However, if an associated agent supports differential backups, then you can change the next job to be a differential backup. This reduces media consumption, as full backups contain large amounts of data.

Applies To

• Primary Copy, Synchronous Copy, Selective Copy, Snapshot Copy, Spool Copy, Parallel Copy, Inline Copy, Deferred Copy, and WORM Copy

To delete a job from a storage policy copy:

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | storage_policy.
    2. Right-click the storage_policy_copy, click View>Jobs.
    3. In the Job Filter for Storage Policy dialog box, clear the Specify Time Range check box and then click OK.

A list of jobs associated with the copy is displayed in the Job for Storage Policy pane.

4. Right-click the job that you want to delete and select Delete Job.

Note: Delete Job option for To Be Copied job ages partially copied data chunks (if any) associated with the job in the copy and disables the job for auxiliary copy operation.

5. In the Delete Job dialog box, select Yes (Recommended) to delete the dependent jobs, and then click OK.

The selected job and all dependent jobs are displayed in the Delete Job dialog box.

6. Click OK.
    Posted: 08-13-2019, 11:37 PM

Hi mheloy,

Did you manage to setup aux copies to tape for your O365 Exchange Online backup? I have the same question as you- 

"2. I want to move the job copies from Disk to TAPE and apply the retention 7 year policy in the Tape. I need to free space in the disk library"

@Anyone, I have a TAPE copy in my storage policy and since exchange online backup is only doing incremental, how will the data on disk and tape age off? I understand that retention policy overrides the storage policy. Our concern here is if we're continously writing incrementals to tape, we will be using lots of tapes and data won't aged on them. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted: 08-13-2019, 11:44 PM
    Unfortunately, it will not delete the copies in the disk library unless you delete it manually.

I just added a tape copy and sync them synchronously.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy