MA Became Unresponsive

Last post 08-10-2019, 1:24 AM by Wwong. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • MA Became Unresponsive
    Posted: 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

I had an MA become unresponsive yesterday and the only option to recover was to power cycle it.

It's a CENTOS (HP brand) box.

Jobs were running when this happened and today jobs seem to be running okay.

Should I run a data verification on the DDB anyway or wait for a possible problem to show itself?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Kris

• Re: MA Became Unresponsive
    Posted: 08-08-2019, 2:32 PM

I started a data verification job on the DDB and it estimated 18 days to complete so that answers that question.

• Re: MA Became Unresponsive
    Posted: 08-10-2019, 1:24 AM

Hi KRobnett

In regards to MA becoming unresponsive, you are referring to complete no access (via GUI or Putty)?

If there was jobs running at the time, these jobs will not be committed and would be marked by the JobManager as failed and will go into a "Pending" state. 

Running a Full DDB Verification is a good method to validate the Backup Jobs written to the DDB (assuming Deduplication is in use) -> this will be good to verify all the Backup 

• Otherwise an incremental DV is also another good option, as this will verify at the point of your last incremental DV (so it doesnt have to verify the baseline data) -> but if you are concerned with data at rest then a Full DV is good as well

Furthermore the primary concern here is why did the OS become unresponsive? A cold reboot is a temporary measure, but would recommend to engage HP to confirm whether there are any hardware issue. If the problem occurs again, I would recommend to trigger an NMI (non-maskable interrupt), which should generate a mini dump of the Server and OS, which you can then engage the necessary Vendor to review. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy