Oracle / HANA backup - DataAging using incremental storage policies does not honor retention

Last post 08-16-2019, 6:29 AM by ssunkara. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Oracle / HANA backup - DataAging using incremental storage policies does not honor retention
    Posted: 08-14-2019, 5:06 AM

Hi guys,

is there any problem in using Incremental StoragePolicies for Oracle or HANA Backups ?

I currently observe, that Data Aging ages the Full Backups, even if subsequent Incremental Backups to be retained exist.
    Currently I'm running on V11 SP15 HPK26.

any hint welcome

What happens, if I remove the Incremental StoragePolicy association from the StoragePolicy used w/ the subClient ?

BR
    Klaus

• Re: Oracle / HANA backup - DataAging using incremental storage policies does not honor retention
    Posted: 08-16-2019, 1:03 AM

You might have this setting enabled:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=11019.htm

Prune All Database Agent Logs Only By Days Retention Rule

Definition: Specifies whether or not to ignore the log rule for all Database agents.

Default Value: 0

Range: 0 (No) or 1 (Yes)

Usage: Database logs retention can be linked to the retention of the related database file. Therefore, if you retain a full database backup, related transactional logs will also be retained until the full database backup is pruned regardless of any lesser retention setting for the logs.

• When the value is set to 0 the log rule is honored.
    • When the value is set to 1 the log rule is ignored and only days to retain logs is used. This might be riskier for point-in-time recovery.

Consider using the “Honor cycle only retention for log rule” parameter if you need to link and retain log backups tofull jobs based only on the cycle retention rules.

If so, disable this and the log / incremental jobs will follow full cycles as well. 

• Re: Oracle / HANA backup - DataAging using incremental storage policies does not honor retention
    Posted: 08-16-2019, 2:21 AM

Hi Jordanxu,

no, this value is left default / set to "0".

And I'm talking about Incremental Backups of Oracle (RMAN) or HANA Databases.
    The StoragePolicy assigned to the subClient also uses an incremental StoragePolicy.
    By this, Full and Incremental Backups can be written to different Media.
    I use the same Retention on the full and increment StoragePolicy(Copies).

But after defined retention period, full backups are delete/aged, even though dependent Incrementals are still to be retained.

Logfiles / Archivelogs are backed up to a separate StoragePolicy anyways.

And without a valid Full, I don't see how to make use of an incremental or log backup at all.

Posted: 08-16-2019, 6:29 AM

Hi,

We may check this and get back. In the mean time can you please reach out support and open a ticket?

We need your Commserver database to analyze.

Thanks,

Srinivas

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy