Cumulative Network Throttling

Last post 08-23-2019, 10:02 PM by Wwong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Cumulative Network Throttling
    Posted: 08-20-2019, 9:29 PM

Hi,

I have 4 media agents in total.  Two sets of 2 MAs, one set at the primary site and the other set at DR.  Each set presents a single disk library at each site (half the storage mounted on each MA with read-only mount points to the other) and a partitioned DDB.

We have 3 or 4 storage policies and all primary copies are hosted at the primary site with Aux Copies (DASH) to DR.

Our link between primary and DR is 800Mbit and we would like the MAs to use a max of 600Mbit for the Aux Copies.

Is there a way for me to restrict the bandwidth used between these 2 sets of 2 MAs to a total figure of 600Mbit?  Obviously I can use Network Throttling - I could set the two DR MAs to only allow 300Mbit of "receive traffic" from the two primary MAs which would be a total of 600Mbit.  Is this the best (only) way to do it?  Ideally I want to say that the entire "group" is allowed to use 600Mbit (rather than specifying 300Mbit for each MA separately).  That way, if only one MA is currently copying (which can happen at the end of the Aux Copies as the number of streams remaining is low) it would still be able to use the full 600Mbit rather than being restricted to 300Mbit.

Can this be achieved?  I know I can create a "Computer Group" and set Network Throttling here - however, it is unclear to me whether this imposes a dynamic limit "total" across the entire group (eg, 600Mbit which can be split up between the two MAs dynamically) or whether it would just be limiting both MAs to 600Mbit individually.  Is the group "smart" in this way?  Or is it really just a way to push the same config to multiple machines?

Cheers,
    David

• Re: Cumulative Network Throttling
    Posted: 08-21-2019, 5:56 AM

Hi David 

When you setup a a Client Computer Group and place both your MediaAgent, you don't need to set the allowed traffic to 300Mbit. You can still set it to 600 Mbit, but you should enable "All client share allocated bandwidth" - This setting throttles across all selected clients cumulatively.

Documentation - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7486.htm

More details on Network Throttling - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7483.htm

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 08-21-2019, 7:08 AM

Hi Winston,

Thanks for the reply - however, I don't think you are correct in this instance.  By setting 600Mbit on the client group - this means that both media agents are allowed 600Mbit EACH (which is not what I want).  Within the 600Mbit allocated to each agent, it will share this dynamically between the two agents at the other end (which is what the share setting does).

I actually tested this today after posting and found that I had to set the client group to 300Mbit.  When I did this, each MA would use 300Mbit for a total of 600Mbit.  When I set the client group to 600Mbit, the entire link (1000Mbit) would be flooded (as each client was trying to use 600Mbit).

The link you sent above actually spells this out - so it was very helpful!  If you look in the "Notes" section, you'll see a clarification about how this setting works when used with a client group.  It explains that each client will receive the full allocation of bandwidth.  There is also an interesting solution that to achieve a single shared bandwidth allocation between the group of machines (like I want), that I would have to configure a Network Gateway in the middle and apply the network throttling to the gateway.  I don't think I will bother going this far, but it's interesting that there is a solution.

Cheers,
    David

Posted: 08-23-2019, 1:20 AM

From my understanding is that shared bandwidth setting in the Network Throttling divides the bandwidth by the number of objects selected, and distributes that setting to all the objects.  For instance 600Mb/s with 6 objects selected will distribute 100Mb/s to each object. If one of those objects is a Client Group, then all the clients inside the group will get 100Mb/s.  That would explain why when you selected a Client Computer Group containing two MediaAgents that it would distribute 600Mb/s to both instead of half each.

Still, it's not what you want.  You would either need to implement as you suggested, or make modifications in your network infastructure to cap the traffic.

Posted: 08-23-2019, 10:02 PM

Hi David 

Thanks for the clarification, looks like I over read that. 

Hopefully the Network Gateway information will help out your scenario. 

Regards

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy