Evaluating Cloud storage cost

Last post 08-23-2019, 9:42 PM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Evaluating Cloud storage cost
    Posted: 08-22-2019, 4:58 PM

We are looking at creating a secondary copy of our backups into some Cloud Storage provider.  Google, AWS, Azure, what ever.

I need to evaluate what it's going to cost.  The question I cannot wrap my head around is, they want to know how many "operations" we are going to do in a month.  (Get, Put, list, delete, etc.)

I have not idea how CommVault uses the API and what this means to me.  "It depends" is the common answer I get from everyone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

• Re: Evaluating Cloud storage cost
    Posted: 08-23-2019, 9:42 PM

Hi MRail 

When considering use of Cloud Storage as a Secondary Copy, the first question is whether you will be using Deduplication or not. By default Commvault will write Objects into the Cloud with Block size of 8MB. If you introduce Deduplication you will be writing less data, as the data set will have reference pointer for other similar data. 

So when using Deduplication, the initial baseline (or the first set Full Backup / Unique Data) will be the initial capacity consumed. Theoritcally you can calculate the amount of objects created in the cloud by dividing the amout of capacity consumed over the Block Size.

The "operations"  (Get, Put, list, delete, etc.), are the different API interaction Commvault will have with the Cloud Storage. 

• Get - will be primarily used when doing restore
    • Put - will be primarily used when doing backup 
    • Delete - will be primarily used when doing Data Aging or Physical Pruning 

For more details you can refer to the following Documentation - https://cloud.kapostcontent.net/pub/ef27d419-7cd3-4602-b8e7-81559427c6da/public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-aws-v11-sp15?kui=gK2pXAdsW6lUvhjRWz28VA

Regards

Winston

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy