Loosing disk spaceon media agent drive

Last post 09-03-2019, 8:19 PM by Wwong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Loosing disk spaceon media agent drive
    Posted: 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Over the past week, I've had a drive on one media agent, that suddenly lost all of its free space.  This is an agent that has been running fine all year, with roughly the same amount of disk space free.  The disk is small (1 TB) and is an SSD used to hold dedupe data only.  If I get into the command line, and do a "dir /s", the amount of space used is what I would expect.  Doing a "dir /s /ah" does not show any significant usage..  I have noticed recently and problem with SIDDB processes that did not seem to close properly, and tended to accumulate over time.

Last week I completely ran out of space, so I stopped the services, and then copied all of the files from that drive to another one, reformatted the drive and then copied them back, reclaiming all the "lost" space.

chkdsk before showed more files that did not show using "dir", so I presume that this is where the "lost" space is.

This appears to be hapenning agin, as I am not missing another 60GB on the same drive.

I am going to install SP16 (am on SP15), and see if this alleviates the problem, and the problem with the "stuck" SIDDB processes, but if anyone has another suggestion, it would be appreciated.

• Re: Loosing disk spaceon media agent drive
    Posted: 09-03-2019, 5:54 PM

Hi deb

If the SIDB2 process is getting stuck/hung, can you check whether this is reported in the OS Event logs. This issue could be a result of disk related issue causing the process to exhibit a hung state, while IOPs are being processed to the disk layer. 

Additionally in regards to DDB bloat (and space consumption), you can also consider doing a DDB compaction on the Primary and Secondary Tables (Tables which hold references of the Deduped Blocks) - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=12613.htm

I would also recommend to engage Commvault support to look into this as well 

Regards

Winston

Posted: 09-03-2019, 5:55 PM

Hi deb

If the SIDB2 process is getting stuck/hung, can you check whether this is reported in the OS Event logs. This issue could be a result of disk related issue causing the process to exhibit a hung state, while IOPs are being processed to the disk layer. 

Additionally in regards to DDB bloat (and space consumption), you can also consider doing a DDB compaction on the Primary and Secondary Tables (Tables which hold references of the Deduped Blocks) - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=12613.htm

I would also recommend to engage Commvault support to look into this as well 

Regards

Winston

Posted: 09-03-2019, 6:26 PM

Looks like the current missing space is just due to shadow copy use.  It's what the system is showing.  Will be keeping an eye on it regardless to make sure I don't have a reoccurrance of last week's problem.  As mentioned, I will be applying SP16 shortly, and if the problem re-occurs after that, I will open a support ticket.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted: 09-03-2019, 8:19 PM

Hi deb

Thanks for the update 

Good to know that you were able to identify the issue is related to Shadow Copy. 

This might most likely be due to a potential VDS issue, as Shadows are created during the DDB backup and cleaned up upon completion. 

If VDS (at the OS layer) is having issue, this could result in the leftover shadows.

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy