Over Backup License Capacity

Last post 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM by Joao Sousa. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Over Backup License Capacity
    Posted: 09-09-2019, 7:22 PM

Hi

We have reached our Backup License Capacity, and our backups have stalled until we can get under the limit (6TB). Managment does not want to purchase more licenses to increase the capacity, and the users have not cooperated with clearing up diskspace by deleting duplicate data and old files. I tried to free up some space by deleting old jobs, but it doesn't look like it's having any effect on the capacity. I'm apparently doing something wrong. We are running v11.

Here's my steps:

I right-click on Policies\Storage Policies\"General Policy"\"Primary Policy". I then choose View>Jobs. I search jobs and find the oldest ones. I right click the job and choose "Delete Job". After that I right click on the CommCell, choose All Tasks>Data Aging. After that I check the capacity and nothing changes.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or does anyone have a different way of clearing space? I figured I'd try the forum first before calling support.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: Over Backup License Capacity
    Posted: 09-09-2019, 7:47 PM

Check if you have pending deduplication delete records in your Dedpuplication Engine(s).

Also, if you really need to reduce capacity license. Try releasing unwanted agent license (or better still deconfigure the clients).  https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6997.htm

Posted: 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Thanks foir your response.

I checked and don't have any pending dedup deletion records. Unfortunately, I need all the agent licenses I have.

I may reach out to support to see if they can figure out why I can't seem to free up space.

Thanks again for your help Anthony

Posted: 09-12-2019, 2:47 PM

Licensing is based upon protected data, not deduped data. Let say you back up a 1TB machine but with dedupe, you only transfer 500GB. The 1TB will count againt your license. Freeing space on your libaray will not free this up. If you have agents that are no longer being backed up, you may release the license for that agent. The data will not be deleted and will become a restore only agent. Also if you have VMs that are turned off, you can filter these not to backup as well. 

Posted: 09-12-2019, 3:45 PM

Another option to releasing the license is in the Subclient properties - Activity Control - disable the Enable Backup option, then run Data Aging. Subclients with backups disabled will not be counted against the capacity license.  

Posted: 09-16-2019, 3:13 AM

Hi, 

You have followed correct steps here to prune the backups manually.

I have noticed this after running Data Age Job on desired library it takes sometimes to reclaim the disk space and license. was the case or you had something else?

It’s also worth a look at the disk library storage, which storage you use? i had a previous experience with Huawei storage and drill hole was not enabled on storage side so that i had to add additional configurations to prune the data from disk. 

Posted: 09-16-2019, 11:28 AM

You did everything right, it just takes sometime to clear.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy