Current proxy backup for a new vCenter 6.7

Last post 09-15-2019, 2:47 AM by Anthony.Hodges. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Current proxy backup for a new vCenter 6.7
    Posted: 09-12-2019, 6:02 AM

Hi All,

I am not finding the clear answer to my issue hence the post. My current environment is based on vCenter 5.5 with a proxy backup (VDDK 6.0) installed on Windows machine. In the meantime there is a new vCenter 6.7 being deployed and I wonder if I am able to use the same proxy when setting up a new virtualization client for backups. OR I need to install a new VSA for the purposes.

I am a bit confused with VDDK version to be used and do not want to be left with no backup setup for 5.5 when 6.7 starts to run the backup jobs.

thanks!

• Re: Current proxy backup for a new vCenter 6.7
    Posted: 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Hi,

you can check below doc for clarification. Sp13 onwards proxy will contain multiple VDDK versions as part of VSA package install. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3368.htm

VDDK Support

For each Commvault service pack, the Virtual Server Agent includes the latest supported VDDK.

For Commvault Version 11, Service Pack 13 and later, VDDK 6.0.2, VDDK 6.5, VDDK 6.5.2, and VDDK 6.7.1 are all included with the Virtual Server Agent. The appropriate VDDK for the vSphere version is loaded automatically when required. For more details, see VDDK Support for the Virtual Server Agent.

Customers can also update the VDDK manually. Do not place VDDK files in the VDDK installation in the Commvault base directory. Only install a newer version of the VDDK for proxies running on Windows. For Linux proxies, use a VDDK version that is included with the Virtual Server Agent package.

VDDK 5.5 or later is required for vSphere 5.5 support.

With VDDK 5.5 and later, 32-bit libraries and binaries are no longer supported.

Posted: 09-13-2019, 12:46 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

You'll need to deloy proxy specific per VDDK as they cannot be combined.

Use separate VSA proxies to support different VDDK versions

A single physical or virtual machine can only support one active VDDK version, and different VSA proxies must be configured to support different VDDK versions. If VSA proxies are deployed as virtual machines, the VSA proxy VMs supporting different VDDK versions must be hosted on different ESX servers.

In environments that include vSphere 6.5 or 6.7, as well as ESX hosts that are not supported by vSphere 6.5 or 6.7, configure separate VSA subclients and assign different VSA proxies to each of the subclients:

• Configure one subclient and VSA proxy to support older hosts with proxies using VDDK 6.0.2
    • Configure a separate subclient and VSA proxy to support vSphere 6.5 with proxies using VDDK 6.5.
    • Configure a separate subclient and VSA proxy to support vSphere 6.7 with proxies using VDDK 6.7.1.
    Posted: 09-15-2019, 2:47 AM

If you are going to VMware 6.7 U2, VDDK 6.7.2 does not need to be manually installed as it nows comes with the August 22 Hotfix pack.  VMware 6.7 U3 is not listed as being supported by Commvault yet.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy