Migrating Windows Media Agent Server to New Hyper scale (Linux) Media Agent node.

Last post 09-16-2019, 4:18 AM by Wwong. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Migrating Windows Media Agent Server to New Hyper scale (Linux) Media Agent node.
    Posted: 09-12-2019, 8:30 AM

Hello,

I am moving exiting MA (windows)  to a new MA, the new MA will be a Linux node in Hyperscale Applaince (HPE APOLLO 4200 GEN9).

I was reading through the link http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11074.htm 

Everything is clear in above documentation except the Media Agent Index movement as questioned here in forum thread https://forum.commvault.com/forums/57830/ShowThread.aspx#57830 

As mentioned in above thread the solution is to copy index manually and change settings of MA.

My question is  I am copying Index across different file systems (from windows MA to Linux MA) does it matter? anything i need to take extra care about?

Copying Index using WinSCP should work?

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on this.  

• Re: Migrating Windows Media Agent Server to New Hyper scale (Linux) Media Agent node.
    Posted: 09-15-2019, 6:49 AM

Hi Ansal 

Depending on how you are migrating from Windows MA to HyperScale, if you are considering Aux Copying the Data, then there is no need to move the Index, as the Backup which are Aux Copied to the new MediaAgent you will also be writing new Index to the Appliance. 

The Index data is required when doing restore, and even in the unlikely scenario the Index is not up to date, it will still attempt to reach the Disk media to replay the Index back into the Index Cache. 

Regards

Winston 

• Re: Migrating Windows Media Agent Server to New Hyper scale (Linux) Media Agent node.
    Posted: 09-16-2019, 2:02 AM

The biggest hurdle you have is that you cannot copy a Windows DDB onto a Linux DDB, and you need to engage support if you want to move DDB paritions from Windows to Linux.  The same restrictions apply for an online or offline MediaAgent.

The easiest option is to just create a Synchronous Aux Copy onto the Hyperscale, and then when it is in sync - promote the Copy as Primary.

Posted: 09-16-2019, 2:25 AM

Thanks Wintson, 

Yes,  My plan is to Aux copy the data to new HyperScale storage pool.

the data I am copying is windows file archived data.

so after the migration when the stub recall happens if the index is not available in index cache and if it needs to be restored from disk media then it can cause performance issues for archive access from production fileservers.

That’s why I thought of copying Index cache.!

Posted: 09-16-2019, 2:32 AM

Thanks Anthony,

Okay, that’s something new about the DDB movement.!

I think , then I will need to make a decision on whether I need to move Old DDB or not. Because I will be using new portioned DDBs in my new Hyperscale, new backups will use new DDBs.

To access/restore old backups (which will be migrated to new HS) I don’t need to have the DDBs copied.

May be I can ignore this part? As you said its worth cross checking with CVLT Support.

Thanks again.!

Posted: 09-16-2019, 4:18 AM

Hi Ansal 

Base on your previous update, if you are doing an Aux Copy from your existing environment to the new HyperScale, they will not be a need to move the DDB or Index. 

As the HyperScale solution comes with 6 DDB partition, 2 partition per HyperScale Nodes (this type of configuration can only be achieved for HyperScale Deployment and cannot be manually configured), when you Aux Copy you are pretty much re-writing the Backup (assuming it is for long-term retention), as baseline to the HyperScale Solution which will:

• During the Aux Copy process you are pretty much seeding the destination DDB and Index (in the HyperScale Solution)
    • Once you promote it to Primary the DDB and Index will be up to date, so you don't need to manually move anything 
    Regards

Winston 
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy