Media Refresh Disk Library, Moving Archived data from old to new disk Library.

Last post 09-16-2019, 4:28 AM by Wwong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Refresh Disk Library, Moving Archived data from old to new disk Library.
    Posted: 09-12-2019, 9:00 AM

Hello,

We have Windows file archiving enabled. Different files are archived from production file server/Storage and stored in Commvault content store (around 20 TB).

Now I am migrating my Commvault setup to new Hyperscale Appliance (HPE APOLLO 4200 GEN9), part of that I need to migrate all archived data from exiting Commvault disk library to new Hyperscale storage pool.

Importantly.!  After the migration stubs should point to actual data in new disk library and recalls shoud work  

What would be the best way to achieve it? I have seen few suggestion

1. Dash copy everything under backup/archive storage policy to new Disk library.
    2. Create Synchronous copy for backup/archive SP and Aux copy all archives to new library and promoted sync copy to primary copy after completion.

What you guys think about it?

Thank you.

• Re: Media Refresh Disk Library, Moving Archived data from old to new disk Library.
    Posted: 09-12-2019, 2:53 PM

Hi Ansal,

Option 2 will work. I have moved libraries before. Just create a seconday copy for your new library and run an aux copy, after you are done moving all your data, you can promote the seconday to primary and after your data has aged off, delete the old copy. 

• Re: Media Refresh Disk Library, Moving Archived data from old to new disk Library.
    Posted: 09-15-2019, 6:54 AM

Hi Ansal 

Agree with bcbsops as well, after creating new Syncrhonous Copy do a Dash Copy of the data to the New Copy and then promote it to Primary. For Archive Stub data it follows the Primary Copy when doing recall, so just make sure the new Synchronous copy has the same retention as your original Primary 

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 09-16-2019, 2:39 AM

Thanks. 

The migration is scheduled for next month, i will keep you all posted how it goes. Thanks again.! 

Posted: 09-16-2019, 4:28 AM

Hi Ansal 

The process should be quite smooth and feel free to reach out if you have any additional queries.

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy