Archiving and retention

Last post 10-15-2019, 9:45 AM by BillyK. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Archiving and retention
    Posted: 10-10-2019, 9:28 AM

Hello,

We are in the process of implementing OnePass. (Archiving with stubbing)  We are looking to archive/stub files that haven't been accessed in greater than 5 years.  We could like to maintain these archived files for some additional period of time, let's say 2 years for the sake of this discussion.  What specific setting do I need to make to ensure that the archived files are kept for 2 years once archived, BUT the backup of regular / newer files are kept according to the storage policy setting. (3 months)  We have the retention tab presently set to Object Based Retention but all the settings below it are presently set to default.  I'm unclear as to which one of these settings I need to modify in order to accomplish the above objective.  Thank you in advance.

- Bill

• Re: Archiving and retention
    Posted: 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM

hi Bill,

Which Service Pack version are you on? I will be happy to talk to you and suggest setting in details.

Posted: 10-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Hello, thank you.  We are on SP15 HFP 33.

Posted: 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM

if you could upgrade to SP16, we can then segregate backup data from archive data and configure Archive Set to have settings to archive and retain data based on the requirement.

Please send me your number on vagrawal@commvault.com and we can discuss.

Posted: 10-10-2019, 3:15 PM

Hello,

I just emailed you.  Sounds like you're saying that we can't separate the retention between archiving and normal backups with SP15.  Feel free to call me within the next hour or it can wait until tomorrow.  Thank you!

Posted: 10-15-2019, 9:45 AM

Vijay,

I noticed the following behavior which seems to contradict what we had discussed.  When pointing an archive only subclient to one of our standard storage policies that has 3-month retention on the primay copy, the jobs pickup the 3-month retention as opposed to the 3-year setting that we've set on the subclient itself.  I thought the larger of the 2 would take precedence but it seems as though the storage policy is taking precedence and it's ignoring the subclient setting.  The subclient is configured for "Job Based Rention" and has "Retain jobs for" set to 3 years.

Thanks,

- Bill

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy