CIFS Mount Path Intermittent Access Issue

Last post 10-22-2019, 3:47 PM by Boberic. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CIFS Mount Path Intermittent Access Issue
    Posted: 10-20-2019, 7:19 AM
    Hi all,

I am getting chunk errors on my CIFS mount paths on my disk library everytime I run DDB Verification job. This also happens everytime I run Aux copy on my backup jobs.
    Weird thing is I never encountered any chunk error everytime I run a backup job. I wanted to know if there is a tool to troubleshoot intermittent CIFS access.
     Error message I am getting is for DDB verification with space reclamation is:

Error: Mount Path is inaccessible. MPid [324]

By the way mp event logs entry for the CIFS mount path access so it is a bit challenging
  • Re: CIFS Mount Path Intermittent Access Issue
    Posted: 10-22-2019, 4:25 AM

Hi ftd

While running Deduplicated Backups to a MediaAgent and Disk Library using CIFs, it will reference existing Blocks written to the Library, and if the reference exist it will increment the references in the DDB (achieving space saving)

However depending on the type of Data Verification and Aux Copy that is ran, this operation is reading from the Source Library (CIFS in this case) and will encounter Process CHUNK errors under the following condition:

• Data Block is missing
    • Data Block is corruptted
    • Intermittent connection

If this is due to Corruption or Missing Blocks, a Full DDB Verification is recommended so the impacted blocks are marked as bad and won't be reference again during new Backup

However if this is an intermittent connection issues with CIF shares, it is recommended to review the OS logs to identify any possible connection errors from SMB layer. If there are no specific errors it would be best to check from Storage Layer and Network layer to see if there are TCP reset or packet drop when under load (as these are the general pain points encountered).

Likewise from a Commvault perspective you can review AuxCopy.log/CVJobReplicatorsODS.log (on Source MediaAgent) for Aux Copy and DataVerf.log for Data Verification, which will show more meaningful error logging to narrow your investigation 

Regards

Winston 

• Re: CIFS Mount Path Intermittent Access Issue
    Posted: 10-22-2019, 3:47 PM

I'm seeing these errors logged occasionally.  Is it possible that the errors are being generated when a mount path fills up and it needs to continue writing that stream to a different mount path?  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy