When was the file deleted? Customer does not know

Last post 10-24-2019, 1:18 PM by Boberic. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • When was the file deleted? Customer does not know
    Posted: 10-03-2019, 12:24 AM

Hi Team,

If the customer does not know when was the file deleted, how does a backup administrator goes about that? We don't want to go to each full backup as our tape is already offsite.

We looked at our full backups what are still in the disk library, its not there anymore. It must be in one of our tapes been AUX copied but also offsite?

Is there a commvault solution to prevent this moving forward?

Thanks

• Re: When was the file deleted? Customer does not know
    Posted: 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Hi,

If this is indexing v2 then you have the index for all the jobs in the media agent. So browsing for the time period with the show deleted option selected should be able to show the deleted objects.

If this is indexinv v1 and if the index of the jobs in the aux copy is available then we would be able to browse the data with show deleted option for the larger time period and this would provide you the deleted objects during that time period. If the index is not available then in that case we need to get the media used during that time period using the list media option so that index could be restored and we would be able to show which objects that were deleted during that time period. you can also keep the index on a different location for longer retention periods so that we dont need to recall the media in these cases.

documentation link to keep the index for longer retention for indexing v1 :

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10715.htm

Please escalate this in case you need any further help on this.

Regards,

Prasad.

Posted: 10-03-2019, 10:50 PM
    We are currently SP15, I check the client using the Index STatus reporting tool... it show V1. The media Agent shows a mix of V2 and V1

confused now
    Posted: 10-03-2019, 10:55 PM
    BTW this is for VM Backup and doing file level restore from a VM Backup

Thanks
    Posted: 10-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Hi,

Are your backups run with the meta data collection enabled or not. If the option is enabled then we would be able to run the find across the time range to get the file. Documentation link for this.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=30795.htm

If further details are required \ enchancements needs to be requested then please get in touch with the support.

Regards,

Prasad.

Posted: 10-07-2019, 6:30 PM

Yes, we do metada collection of our VM backups.

We can browse the files from our daily VM backups from the disk library, but doing the same thing from tape would be a nightmare.

So if we convert to Index V2 for these VM Backups we should have a history of the files moving forward?

Thanks

Posted: 10-07-2019, 7:10 PM

It seems even in Index V2 it will not help us

I'm reading this https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp14/article?p=102029.htm

Note:

• Collecting file and folder information during backups is not supported with Indexing Version 2. Browse and restore operations use the live browse method to get file and folder information.
    • Guest file restores from tape are not supported with Indexing Version 2, because file details are not collected in backups and live browse operations are not supported from tape copies.
    what you think>
    Posted: 10-12-2019, 1:47 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777
    Posted: 10-24-2019, 1:18 PM

I'm not sure how this fits into my future restores, but

On this page:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=102029.htm

There's this note:

Note:

• Collecting file and folder information during backups is not supported with Indexing Version 2. Browse and restore operations use the live browse method to get file and folder information.
    • Guest file restores from tape are not supported with Indexing Version 2, because file details are not collected in backups and live browse operations are not supported from tape copies.
    As far as finding a file under a Virtual Agent based backup once it has been aged off of disk and backups are only on tape, that's never worked well for me.  It will need the tape loaded so it can get the index.  It will then allow you to see the guest files under each VM.  I'm not sure if I'm not using V2 or V1 index style for my Virtual Agent yet.  I'm currently on Sp15 for v11.  
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy