Media Agent Service Pack Downgrade

Last post 10-30-2019, 4:36 AM by omer. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Agent Service Pack Downgrade
    Posted: 10-25-2019, 4:58 PM

Hello All,

What level we can do the downgrade for a Media Agent?

For some reason, we are trying to downgrade one of our Media Agent from SP16 to SP11. The Uninstall of SP16 completed successfully and install of SP11 also completed successfully. After that we able to see Media Agent status ready and Disk Library as well. But when we try to take a backup we faced that error:  Could not connect to the SIDB process at MediaAgent MA.

Is there a restriction to downgrade Media Agent Service Pack version?

Best Regards.

• Re: Media Agent Service Pack Downgrade
    Posted: 10-25-2019, 5:36 PM

Hi Omer 

It is not possible to roll back a service pack from SP16 to SP11. If you are encountering issue where you are failing to connect to SIDB after upgrade I would check connection or Network Route Rules and see if anything is changed after the upgrade

If the issue is urgent please engage support to review this

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 10-25-2019, 6:20 PM

Hi Winston,

The network connection is fine because all clients are using the same network.

I did a test and I downgraded from SP16 to SP15. After that, I able to take backup without errors.

So, the downgrade could it be down to a certain level?

Posted: 10-25-2019, 6:53 PM

Hi omer 

Good to know you got everything working 

I am assuming you have used the RemoveUpdates.exe from the /Base folder. Although that does work its not recommended as you could cause issue with the Binary applied as part of SP16

Otherwise did you uninstall SP16 and re-installed the SP15 package, as that could be the other option. 

However in saying that if you did encounter issue in SP16, opening a support Ticket would still be recommended to drill down and figure out the cause

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 10-26-2019, 3:43 AM

Hi Winston,

Thank you for the answers.

What I want to understand here is how many levels of downgrade can we do for the MA service pack, DDB will work correctly.

Best Regards.

Posted: 10-27-2019, 8:42 PM

Hi omer

There is not specific level or pathway to downgrade a Service Pack, because in most case it is not recommended to downgrade a service back, as the newer binary might not be rolled back properly after upgrade to the later service pack. 

In scenario such as issue with a specific Service pack, the first approach would be to engage support to determine the next steps.

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 10-30-2019, 4:36 AM

Hi Winston,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Best Regards.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy