Peak Capacity Usage Growth - Volume Size Breakdown by Server

Last post 11-05-2019, 2:51 PM by jhshen. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Peak Capacity Usage Growth - Volume Size Breakdown by Server
    Posted: 11-01-2019, 5:31 PM

I have a question on the Peak Capacity Usage Grown chart created by the Commvault WebConsole: https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/login/index.jsp

Logging in, I select: Reports -> Overview -> Peak Capacity Usage Growth

And I see a bar chart titled Backup - Peak Usage Per Month. And if I highlight the November bar I see see a peak usage of 67.17 TB. I've noticed that the volume has increased since October, so I'd like to see exactly what causd the increase. I click on the November 2019 bar which shows a large table titled Peak Capacity Usage Growth Details. One of the columns is Frontend Size.

Without filtering any values, I've downloaded the table into a CSV file, and then created a sum the rows under the Frontend Size column and I've noticed that it didn't closely match the 67.17 TB. The total sum was around 155 TB. I've also tried to filter by Agent Type, and then collected the Frontend Size but the sum doesn't match either.

Just wondering, exactly how can I find the breakdown (or calculation) for the backup - peak usage per month value vs the Backup - Peak Usage Details table. Thanks.

• Re: Peak Capacity Usage Growth - Volume Size Breakdown by Server
    Posted: 11-04-2019, 3:28 PM

Hello Jhshen,

Can you please try the License Summary report on your local webconsole or Command Center and check if the FET size matches.

This report should have peak capacity trend, and clicking on it should drill down to the details.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=105351.htm

Thanks

Venkat

Posted: 11-04-2019, 4:45 PM

Hi Venkat,

When I tried to access the Local Commvault WebConsole instead of the Cloud WebConsole, and selecting: Reports -> Health (left menu) -> Usage Profile Capacity License Usage which shows the License Usage page. And in the upper right, there's a link showing Peak Capacity Usage Growth.

Clicking the link shows the Peak Capacity Usage Growth page, and there is a bar chart titled Backup - Peak Usage Per Month. But when I click any of bar such as November 2019, the Peak Capacity Usage Growth Details table is completely empty, unlike if I look at its Cloud WebConsole counterpart.

What can I do to see the table in its Local WebConsole?

Thanks,

Jhshen

Posted: 11-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Hello Jhshen,

Please access local Commvault WebConsole -> Reports -> License Summary -> License Peak Usage(this option is to the far right of the License Summary Page).

The bar by month shows usage for all the license categories, including job details as well.

The user accessing the License Summary needs to be logged in to Webconsole as admin OR a user in the "master" user group.

Thanks,

Shyla

Posted: 11-05-2019, 1:04 PM

Hi Shyla,

Using my local Commvault WebConsole and selecting Reports, I do not immediately see a License Summary selection among the reports. So that's why I have to Health -> Capacity License Usage which shows the License Usage page. And then on the upper right, I do see a Peak Capacity Usage Grown link. Clicking that, I do see a bar chart showing Peak - Backup Usage Per Month.

However, if I click on one of the months in that bar chart, I only see an empty Peak Capacity Usage Growth Details table. I do not see any data. This is unlike if I go to the Cloud WebConsole in which I do see the data.

Attached is a screenshot of what I see.

Thanks.

Attachment: details_page.jpg
    Posted: 11-05-2019, 1:19 PM

Hello Jhshen,

Please note that Peak Capacity Growth Details will not have the information you need.

Please see the attached screen shot, you will need the License Summary Report -- which is a report under the Administration tag on your local Commvault WebConsole.

Also, please confirm that you are logged in to the Commvault WebConsole as an admin user or atleast as a user in the master user group. If not, you will not be able to see the License Summary Report.

Thanks,

Shyla

Attachment: License Summary.JPG
    Posted: 11-05-2019, 2:50 PM

Hi Shyla,

I will provide two screenshots, one showing the difficulties when using the Local Commvault WebConsole, and the second is a question using the Cloud Commvault WebConsole which shows the usage by client.

In the first screenshot, you will see that I'm logged in as an Administrator to the Local WebConsole as indicated in the upper right, but in the Reports I still do not see an Administrator - License Summary Report among my selections. 

In the second screenshot, I went back my Clould Commvault WebConsole and selected Reports -> Peak Capacity Usage Growth which shows the current usage, along with the bar chart by month. I didn't make much changes for November 2019 and the peak usage for November 2019 matches the current usage.  I then click on the November 2019 which shows the a table of each client and I've sorted by the largest Frontend Size. There are over 600 clients on the table. As indicated in the second screenshot, should the accummulation of each of the Frontend Size row values match the current usage? Currently, it does not match as the summation of the values exceed the current usage by a lot.

Now that I think about it, I believe there are duplicate values on the table such as for client FILEP06, there are two entries with the same job ID at the the same size of 9.11 TB. Therefore, is there a way to filter out the duplicates in that table?

Posted: 11-05-2019, 2:51 PM

Accidental repost. See post above for attachments of two screenshots.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy